Can Am "Bump"

DWebb68

• Member ID:  1,490
  • Content Count:  10

Well I had a bit of a panic attack this weekend with my new 2022 Defender XT HD10. I'm still under 3 hours so I've not gotten on it very hard but was pulling into my driveway and when I turned in pretty fast, the motor died. I came to a stop with it in neutral and tried to crank it, wouldn't start. Put it in park, still wouldn't start. Ended up pulling it into the carport and checked every connector I could see on the motor, still wouldn't start... 

Did a couple of Google searches and saw one titled "Can Am Bump". So for whatever reason, when I put it in Park it actually wasn't in Park. Apparently it can be in the Park position but the transmission hasn't actually engaged the Park sensor. So if this happens just put gear selector in Park and nudge the bike or sway your weight while seated and you will hear a metallic click, then it engages and starts right up. Crisis averted and blood pressure goes back to normal.    

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The shifter linkage is a cable and is fairly stiff when new, so its possible not to be in park when the indicator shows it is. 

The defender will start in any shifter position, if you step on the brake pedal so that it is what i do first.😉

• Like 1