Enclosed trailer dimension recommendations for HD-10 Limited with tracks

Spuddy64

• Member ID:  1,442
  • Content Count:  2

I want to buy an enclosed trailer to haul my HD-10 Limited around in, but I want it long enough and tall enough to work when I put tracks on my Defender. 

I am assuming 16ft long and probably 8.5 feet tall, but perhaps 8 feet tall would work? Also width so I can get in and out of the Defender once it is in the trailer. 

Thanks

Mike

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

For height I would say you need at least 7ft, but 7.5ft would be about perfect.  I just measured my Xmr with tracks and a 3in lift and that comes up to about 85-86in, which is just over 7ft.  Also, door height and trailer heights are sometimes different so, make sure the door height is at least 7ft so you can actually drive it in without rubbing the top. 

As for the width, I would go with the 8.5ft wide trailer.  Otherwise you're constantly struggling to get in and out and even just trying to walk beside the machine once you do get out, especially in winter when you have all your cold weather gear on.  

For the length, 16ft is about perfect.  I usually haul mine on an open 16ft and it leaves a couple feet of room on the front and on the back of the trailer when the tracks are on.  When the tracks are off I can haul an ATV sideways on the front of the trailer and my defender all the way to the back.

Hope this helps.  

ps welcome to the forum.  There are a lot of members on here that know pretty much anything you need to know about a defender

• Member ID:  1,442
  • Content Count:  2

Thanks! this 22 is my 3rd Defender. I had a 19 XT CAb and currently have a 21 Limited and my 22 which will have tracks within a few weeks. I have owned Polaris and John Deere, but the Defender is what I prefer. Waited for the 22 for 10 months!

Mike

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  1,936
  • Content Count:  1

What trailer height did you go with? 

And what door opening?  I have my eye on a 86" opening but don't want to buy the wrong opening before I buy the tracks. 

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  1,985
  • Content Count:  4

we've just done this exact search for an enclosed trailer that would work with HD10 Limited, Backcountry Tracks, roof rack and plow, and here are our exact measurements: Height 85" mid cab/max height WITHOUT the roof rack mounted. Length WITHOUT plow 16'.  Width with LT tracks 75".  After a whole bunch of shopping and even seeing about a custom trailer build, we figured we might have no choice but to take off the roof rack (added another 7-8") and the plow (about another 2').   Even with a trailer with a "beaver tail" i.e. a sloping drop down floor section right before the ramp to allow for the rig to tilt up as you drive it up the ramp, I'm not sure we're finding one that's gonna work.  Had to rent a UHaul autotransporter which does work for A to B transit, as the hub to hub measurement is 10'.   If you find a company that's doing reasonable 18-20' tall entry box trailers--LMK!

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  344

Not sure where you are at, but Blizzard Trailer can build what you need. They are in north-west NY, not too far from Syracuse.

• Member ID:  1,985

thanks!  will check em out.  Any idea on pricing?