Broke the tie rod. Had it Repaired. Now at around 15mph the front end jumps left and right. Unsafe to drive

WWB

Question

• Member ID:  1,252
  • Content Count:  2

I snapped a tie rod on my 2018 Defender HD10.  Had it repaired.  Now when driving it on a dirt road at or above 15mph, the front end "jumps" left and right.  The jump is significant and unsafe.  What is wrong with it?

3 answers to this question

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

Could you have damaged the steering box? Double check alignment?

• Like 1

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

You might have replaced the tie rod end but did not realign the front end. You will have to adjust the new tie rod end to the correct length (toe in 0" to +0.2") so that both front wheels are parallel to each other and the steering wheel is centered. To check toe in measure from the center of the machine to the same place and height on each rim or tire. The tie rod end has an adjuster built into it and can be screwed in or out after you loosen the lock nut. Be sure that you have enough threaded contact area left when you are done and tighten the lock nut.

Check the A frame on the damaged side you may have bent the lower arm or both (upper) which moved everything back causing a misalignment. If uncertain how to do this take it to your dealer or an alignment place.🙂

• Like 2

• Member ID:  1,252
  • Content Count:  2

Thank you both.  It is the alignment.  2" off in the front of the tire and 4" off in the rear.  I now have it adjusted within 1/4" and it is driving kind of normal.  Thank you again for taking your time to answer my question.