2019 Defender H8 MAX

James C

Question

• Member ID:  1,183
  • Content Count:  1

I'm having a problem with my pulley engaging the drive belt. Sometimes it will engage and sometimes it ill not.. I replaced the belt and cleaned both pulleys but now the belt won't tighten and there is the sound of loose metal when I spin the rear pulley. I can't imagine what that could be. Could the spring be broken and causing the broken metal sound and not allowing the rear pulley to engage?

3 answers to this question

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

My guess is you have broken rollers (plastic buttons) or a broken spring in the secondary, you can remove the secondary by removing the bolt in the middle while leaving the machine in gear to help break the thread lock and the clutch will slide off the spline towards you. Once off you can see the rollers on the back side and if they are good you will have to check the spring.🙂

• Member ID:  1,362
  • Content Count:  3

I have the same issue.

Thought I had a belt issue due to my HD8 not wanting to climb the hill in front of my house.  Squealing and jumpy when I go forward or in reverse.  Opened up the cover and belt didn't look worn but was very loose.  I had already purchased a new belt just in case, and decided to just replace it as I already had the cover off.  Went to turn the pulley in the secondary to tighten belt and absolutely nothing, belt was very loose.  No matter what I did, it would not tighten.  I pulled the secondary clutch for inspection and heard a rattling noise inside.  I put the Clutch tool on and tightened it up and out fell a bunch of broken roller pieces.  My research has found that the stock rollers are not as good as a few after market parts.  I found a clutch Rhino Kit on Amazon for $60 and awaiting shipment as I write this.  

clutch.jpg

Edited by Lee Shaw
Add Photo

• Member ID:  1,362
  • Content Count:  3

Here is a photo of the broken roller pieces.