alignment on 2020 defender

Hammes357

Question

• Member ID:  1,030
  • Content Count:  47

my defender has 2000 miles on it and when the steering wheel is centered we go left so i have to have it turned slightly to the right to go straight.and one of my front wheels is starting to chop real bad. so what's the easiest way to check the alignment on these machines without taking it to the shop?

2 answers to this question

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

Well.... this could actually be a DPS centering issue..... which requires a BUDS unit to recalibrate the system.... I actually bout a BUDS due to the wait for a shop.... and the fact I haven't been real impressed with the CanAm tech's..... Unless you have done a lift... new A-arms.... or just flat out hit something.... I really dont think your alignment just got off.... 

I'm not at home right now around my manual.... but I'm pretty sure if it is your DPS.... turn your wheels straight..... turn the rig off..... let the system shut down..... turn back on the ignition and watch your steering wheel.... Pretty sure you will see it pull to the side..... BINGO!!! DPS CALIBRATION..... 

By chance have you done any wiring??? Dead battery requiring a charger that sparked at hookup??? The system is pretty temperamental so anything like that could have caused the DPS to GO WACKY!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

If you want to check your front end toe in alignment: set and secure your steering wheel at center. Measure the distance from a center point of the vehicle to the same place on each front tire. If one of the wheels needs to be adjusted loosen the tire rod adjusting nut near the knuckle and turn the rod in the direction required to correct the alignment and don't forget to lock the nut when done to prevent accidental turning. 

If you want to check front wheels and back wheels, get a long straight edge (board or steel) and lay along the back wheel and front wheel when the vehicle is parked pointing straight ahead. Both sets of wheels front and back on the same side should be touching or parallel to the straight edge.

If both your front wheels are pointed to one side when you have the steering at the straight ahead position it may be that the DPS requires resetting (if you have DPS) which will require a trip to the dealer. If you have tire wear on one side it is more  likely a toe in problem caused by hitting something and may be corrected by toe in adjustment if not bent too far. 🤔

Edited by Andystoy19
wording
  • Like 1