XMR Max Broken Sway Bar

RangerBob316

Question

• Member ID:  305
  • Content Count:  24

Broke my rear sway bar. Upon inspecting my dads newer xmr max, it appears the newer models do not have a rear sway bar. 
I have a 2019 and he has a 2021. 
I’m wondering if I should fix mine or just leave it off. 
thoughts? I’m worried there will be too much flex and I’ll start breaking axles. 

060708F2-134E-43FA-86B1-00AA20510BB1.jpeg

5 answers to this question

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

My question would be, How long has it been like that? Long enough to SPIT AN AXLE? 

I do understand your hesitation having spit a front right axle at 1000 miles on my 19 cab. But that was a front axle with added 2" forward A-arms and a 2" lift..... so there was more to the story...

In your situation I'm not so sure there would be a problem with it... the only downside I could see would be trail riding at speed... Crawling and Swampin'? I think it would be beneficial.... again...... IMO!!! DON'T  be sending me a bill saying "you said I could" 

Good luck with that...

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

I’d maybe look into any other changes can am may have done to the rear to omit the sway bar on the newer models. I find it hard to believe they would just get rid of it on the 2021 without any other changes.  Maybe they forgot to install it lmao cause it’s a real possibility apparently. If it were me I’d get a new one but I’m always looking to upgrade something on my defender and no better time then when somethings broken. If your stock I’d think you’ll be ok other the hunt said trails and speeds might not be a good combo.  Nice that it’s the sway bar so you can still use it wile on order though. Wish my luck was like that. 

On 5/23/2021 at 7:22 AM, Hkb82 said:

I’d maybe look into any other changes can am may have done to the rear to omit the sway bar on the newer models. I find it hard to believe they would just get rid of it on the 2021 without any other changes.  Maybe they forgot to install it lmao cause it’s a real possibility apparently. If it were me I’d get a new one but I’m always looking to upgrade something on my defender and no better time then when somethings broken. If your stock I’d think you’ll be ok other the hunt said trails and speeds might not be a good combo.  Nice that it’s the sway bar so you can still use it wile on order though. Wish my luck was like that. 

As for the "forgot to install it" comment... Was just a couple weeks ago we had a new owner post pictures of his rig.... AND IT WAS MISSING THE FRONT BUMPER!!! I SHIT YOU NOT!!! So for them to FORGET IT is NOT out of the realm of possibilities!! On the other hand.... Most of us in the jeep world pull our sway bars to let the rig TWIST!! Same for my sleds!! They're really just there to stabilize the rig and keep both feet planted... it will also help with loads..... if you are pretty much bogging it or crawling I would think it will probably be in your favor it is gone.... but if you use it more on road/trails at higher speeds or hauling things around the property.... it may be beneficial to have it replaced... 

I guess I would be running through my mind... What/how did it break??? If the wall thickness is anything like my rocksliders it would take much!!! Larger tires... more travel.... can add some serious torque on them bars.... Does it look at all twisted at the break? Maybe the bottom got hit by a sharp piece of rock that flew up and stressed it.... allowing it to twist and break..... any rust/corrosion on the break? Showing prevoius damage before the break?

I guess if it were me.... I would pull it.... fit a sleeve over the break and weld it back together... then cut the other side..... and do the same thing... if I put it back in at all. But I'm more of a road/trail rider that uses my bed to HAUL some pretty good loads... So the sway bar works for me...

Good luck!!

Looking back at the picture..... That is a pretty odd break... seems it must have had a crack.... and just rattled itself apart... that being said, it probably hasn't done alot of good for awhile now.... take it out.... weld it up.... (a good weld is stronger than that metal) and keep the hardware with you.... Take it out for a day ride and test it..... drive it around until lunch without the bar.... come in... have lunch and install the bar.... repeat morning run and compare.... make your decision based on that info...

And hey, TAKE IT EASY ON THE EQUIPMENT!!!! IT AIN'T CHEAP!!! LOL......

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

Ya I commented on that bumper post also. Crazy.