‘21 Limited Max: High Clearance Arms + Tracks?

Byde_It

• Member ID:  978
  • Content Count:  18

I have a deposit on a 2021 Defender Limited Max, and have plans to rework the suspension with high clearance A Arms on the front and rear. However I want to also be able to mount tracks on this thing and I’m not seeing many options. The Can Am high clearance arms from S3 flat out don’t work with the cab models, and Super ATV only has a fit for the front (not rear) arm on my model. Additionally, I want to be able to mount tracks on this machine at some point. 

Does anyone know of high clearance arms that are a fit for a ‘21 Limited AND are compatible with tracks? I sent an email to HCR but no word back yet. 

Thanks!

For anyone interested, I have answered my own question...

It turns out that the HCR arms provide a 3” lift that they promise will not undermine the CV joint. These arms also are compatible with an adapter that allows them to accommodate the Apache track system. The arms have a 2” offset and tires up to 35” are run on them. 

An expensive solution indeed, but robust!

• Member ID:  972
  • Content Count:  31

3 hours ago, Byde_It said:

It turns out that the HCR arms provide a 3” lift that they promise will not undermine the CV joint. These arms also are compatible with an adapter that allows them to accommodate the Apache track system. The arms have a 2” offset and tires up to 35” are run on them. 

So the stock a arms won’t accept the tracks?

• Member ID:  972
  • Content Count:  31

For whatever reason it stuck my reply in the quote.

so the stock a arms won’t accept the tracks?

3 hours ago, Yooper said:

For whatever reason it stuck my reply in the quote.

so the stock a arms won’t accept the tracks?

Stock arms accept Apache tracks, but the aim was to find an alternative arm that would offer improved clearance and support a tire 32” or larger. Options that would achieve this were all incompatible with any track system until I found the HCR option. 

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

On 4/20/2021 at 10:13 PM, Byde_It said:

Okay..... hold my beer!!! I may be wrong.... but the way they write the descriptions are VERY DECEPTIVE!!!! (That I know is CORRECT) But I believe the A-arms you are referring to do NOT lift the rig!!! What they do DO is arc the lower arms upwards CLOSER to the axle so as to GAIN "HIGHER GROUND CLEARANCE(Not rig, but A-arms)"..... But the belly of your rig stays the same.... Again, I may be wrong..... But that's how they were for my 2019.... Can Am is pretty SHADY THAT WAY!!!! Same with the side mirrors.... catalog states side mirrors...... but if you read closer..... it's because you can use it on either side.... (depending on attaching block) they can classify it as mirrors... but trust me.... YOU ONLY GET ONE!!! 

4 hours ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

Okay..... hold my beer!!! I may be wrong.... but the way they write the descriptions are VERY DECEPTIVE!!!! (That I know is CORRECT) But I believe the A-arms you are referring to do NOT lift the rig!!! What they do DO is arc the lower arms upwards CLOSER to the axle so as to GAIN "HIGHER GROUND CLEARANCE(Not rig, but A-arms)"..... But the belly of your rig stays the same.... Again, I may be wrong..... But that's how they were for my 2019.... Can Am is pretty SHADY THAT WAY!!!! Same with the side mirrors.... catalog states side mirrors...... but if you read closer..... it's because you can use it on either side.... (depending on attaching block) they can classify it as mirrors... but trust me.... YOU ONLY GET ONE!!! 

If I understand you correctly, your suggesting that the arms themselves are lifted, but this doesn’t result in a lift for the machine.

I’ll look more closely into it, but I think it does both. the A Arms are given an extra 1/2” of clearance, and the machine itself gets 3” of lift. This lift comes before any additional lift that would result from the bigger tire that one can use with the HCR A Arms. I’m told the forward displacement enables drivers to go as big as 35” with no rubbing. 

Also HCR is different company than Can Am. Not to say they aren’t shady too, but given its a different outfit, we might presume they are a more honest organization. 

I have them on order and will report goods they work out, which will take some time as were expecting a July shipment. 

9 minutes ago, Byde_It said:

If I understand you correctly, your suggesting that the arms themselves are lifted, but this doesn’t result in a lift for the machine.

I’ll look more closely into it, but I think it does both. the A Arms are given an extra 1/2” of clearance, and the machine itself gets 3” of lift. This lift comes before any additional lift that would result from the bigger tire that one can use with the HCR A Arms. I’m told the forward displacement enables drivers to go as big as 35” with no rubbing. 

Also HCR is different company than Can Am. Not to say they aren’t shady too, but given its a different outfit, we might presume they are a more honest organization. 

I have them on order and will report goods they work out, which will take some time as were expecting a July shipment. 

Okay.... I misunderstood the original post... thought you were looking at the CanAm high clearance A-arms... But even so... I find it hard that a suspension part that lifts the rig 3" and doesn't affect the axle length or CV angle... Hell, the stock axles can't withstand 1000 miles under stock conditions... Id start looking for new axles now so when yerz POPS you know which direction your headed. I went SPENDY!!! Lifetime Gorilla axles under Bear... It was so bad when mine blew, no one had them in stock.... well, the right axle anyway... THE WEAK ONE!!! Hopefully that issue has been resolved... 

But like I've always said, " If you build them, THEY WILL BREAK!!" 

Stock suff runs forever... BUT IT'S BORING!!! Built stuff breaks... BUT IT'S FUN WHILE IT'S RUNNING!!! 😉

HAVE FUN!!!

Joe

6 minutes ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

Okay.... I misunderstood the original post... thought you were looking at the CanAm high clearance A-arms... But even so... I find it hard that a suspension part that lifts the rig 3" and doesn't affect the axle length or CV angle... Hell, the stock axles can't withstand 1000 miles under stock conditions... Id start looking for new axles now so when yerz POPS you know which direction your headed. I went SPENDY!!! Lifetime Gorilla axles under Bear... It was so bad when mine blew, no one had them in stock.... well, the right axle anyway... THE WEAK ONE!!! Hopefully that issue has been resolved... 

But like I've always said, " If you build them, THEY WILL BREAK!!" 

Stock suff runs forever... BUT IT'S BORING!!! Built stuff breaks... BUT IT'S FUN WHILE IT'S RUNNING!!! 😉

HAVE FUN!!!

Joe

Cool, thanks for the recommendation on Gorilla axels. 

Agreed that the angle should be a concern for the CV joints. All I’m told is that it’s not an issue with the design. Hard to have faith in that claim but we shall see. 

If and or when yer axles give way.... Make sure which ever axle you go with is a double plunge axle. This will allow for more travel without effecting the CVJ.... By the way.... Love yer ride!!!

This is Bear with his mach up lumber rack. I welded up a tube rack now... made it out of cyclone fence piping. Chopped up a gate for the radius corners and welded it together. Held down with the anchors that came with the game winch kit... 

20200705_161814.jpg

15 hours ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

If and or when yer axles give way.... Make sure which ever axle you go with is a double plunge axle. This will allow for more travel without effecting the CVJ.... By the way.... Love yer ride!!!

This is Bear with his mach up lumber rack. I welded up a tube rack now... made it out of cyclone fence piping. Chopped up a gate for the radius corners and welded it together. Held down with the anchors that came with the game winch kit... 

20200705_161814.jpg

Great looking rig. I’ve seen a number of attachments and racks made by owners here. Maybe on top of hunting, fishing, riding etc, I’ll need to take up welding!

36 minutes ago, Byde_It said:

Great looking rig. I’ve seen a number of attachments and racks made by owners here. Maybe on top of hunting, fishing, riding etc, I’ll need to take up welding!

Welding is good....