2021 Limited Oil Leak

Bdebruler

Question

• Member ID:  950
  • Content Count:  3

Developed a major oil leak with only 8hrs on my 2021 Limited... Found an oil spot on the garage floor and discovered the bottom side of the skid plate was covered in oil? The dealer implicated a block fitting just above the leak indicator hose on the lower front of the block. He said it was loose and lacked any sort of thread dressing (teflon tape). Looking at the service manual, its proximity to the water pump makes me question whether it is an oil or water passage and if the oil could've  been coming from the shaft seal just to the right of it... I did have some oil on my skid plate after a ride post repair but its possible it was oil still remaining in the skid plate from before. I did inspect the area around the plug again and it appears to be dry but really didn't check the front shaft area. I cleaned out the skid plate as best i could, now hoping to not see anymore drip... also gonna be talking to BRP Care regarding the hassle and wtaf factor of this glaring manufacturing flaw or assembly fail any way you look at it. Anybody else had anything like this ? I love my machine otherwise, hoping its fixed but at least feel like Im on point to the cause if its not. Pics below are the top side of my skid plate covered oil oil as well as the underneath side.   numbers 1 is the leak indicator hose (type of leak to be detected is unspecified in the service manual) #2 is the  water pump on the diagram pic... its the  plug thats circled thats suspect..  can anyone verify if this is an oil passage or water passage? 

EAFD3F93-8B9D-472F-AE1F-E9729BA969E3.jpeg

C43C2892-0BBA-47D9-B5C2-40EB9C4F0F0B.jpeg

D3032F93-4297-4928-A972-05E5920BE70B.jpeg

6D3BC599-F02A-4A10-9DFB-A6FA6EEE2542.jpeg92261BF2-B69D-4D79-803D-9F6A9B87655C.thumb.jpeg.beb332f21240faf3130d0542928e1f07.jpeg

Edited by Bdebruler

9 answers to this question

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Did the dealer put a die into your engine oil to see if it was engine oil or gearbox oil?

My 2019 had a puddle of clear oil when I brought it home, took it back and it turned out to be a finger tight drain plug on the engine, so it wasn't discovered during Pdi.🤔

• Member ID:  666
  • Content Count:  37

Bring it back to the dealer, and tell them you don't want it back until it is fixed.it is brand new you should not have to go onto a forum to figure out what is wrong with it!!

• Member ID:  666
  • Content Count:  37

Why would you try to fix it yourself when it is under warranty??

I took it the dealer and it was “repaired”. Under warranty. However  not certain the repair was the solution as I had a second round of oil on the skid plate. I’m also a mechanic etc etc. just wanting to be certain as to the cause because the dealer is 143 miles away one way and I don’t want to keep going back and forth nor trailer it that far anymore than I have to.  

• Like 1

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The hex plug that you circled may be the oil pressure regulator access? If it is it has a washer or "O" ring behind it.🤔

Edited by Andystoy19
typo

• Member ID:  960
  • Content Count:  2

My son bought same machine,  same hours , same leak , it's at dealership now,  they have to cut rivets off of skid plates to get leak found and fixed , he loves the machine,  but this concerns him ,

• Like 1

• Member ID:  960
  • Content Count:  2

When they figure it out let us know,  We'll post what they find on son's defender,  I have a Polaris but was looking at getting a new Defender,,, I going to wait a bit now 

• Like 1

@Machine Since they tightened mine up I have not had any more issues... i've been monitoring the oil level over a few rides. For future reference the hex plug can be accessed from behind the seats as well. My skid plate was not removed. Canam offered me an additional 2 months warranty which seemed a little short sighted in my opinion. However I've spoken to technicians at different dealerships and the consensus is they dont generally see issues with these machines compared to other brands.

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

I've never had an issue with an oil leak. All the stuff that comes with "new" rigs... hopefully everything is caught prior to warranty expiring...