2020 Defender X mr speedometer & power steering problem

Rhe a Haston

Question

• Member ID:  829
  • Content Count:  4

12 month 2020 Defender X mr speedometer quit working  RPM works fine.  Now the power steering will will quit just every now and then when you least expect it.  Turn engine off and restart and power steering resumes.  Saw P500 and P504 or 6 briefly on cash but can't get it to come up again.  Dealer is 4 weeks out on any service.  Can't get SCI read to.  Got traps to run daily and need problem fixed.  Any help appreciated.  

10 answers to this question

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

My guess is you are having problems with the VSS ( vehicle speed sensor) that is located on the top of the gearbox towards the rear. Almost directly above the rear axles. Follow the wire and check that it is not broken and plugged in tight.

As far as the DPS it may need a dealer reflash or it is overheating from excessive use and is programmed to cut back on the amount of assist it provides and will reset when it cools down. I don't have a table to read the trouble codes, if they disappear on their own than they may be temporary codes that reset when the vehicle sits, is turned off etc. The dealer should be able to give you some help on what is setting the code the next time you see it? Are you running tracks or wheels? 🤔

Wheels in muddy east Texas trapping hogs and other critters.  As I said, dealer won't even look at it unless I drop it off for 4 weeks.  Thanks. And will look for sensor.  BTW, how do you get

fuse box out from under RH dash?  

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I don't have the shop manual for youe newer machine but the 2019 and previous have two fuse boxes: one down under the passenger seat by the battery and the second one in your case will likely be under a black removable cover under the front hood? I am not aware of any fuse boxes under the dash?🤔

Yep, 2020 have 3 fuse boxes.  The two you described and third underneath passenger dash.

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

If you were closer I'd throw my buds unit on it and check the DPS... This is the EXACT reason I purchased it... My dealer was 3 weeks out for drop off, and two weeks figured for the work..... WTH??? I pretty much NO LONGER NEED the dealer anymore.... I'll check those codes in my manual. They may be different than a 2019. But I'll check...

I'm thinking we have different codes. But this is what I found in my manual. You can download a service manual at BRP.COM

GOOD LUCK,

Joe and Bear....

16100011842367763563506383836598.jpg

16100012859524893574874856875207.jpg

Heres some DPS FAULT CODES.... Unfortunately without the buds.... you cant reboot it.... or even try to recalibrate it... Not sure what they are gonna charge you.... But I found the buds has already paid for itself. I also can now reset my own maintenance warnings and change certian parameters within the system. As well as a cool greeting when I start Bear up.... "Welcome Big Daddy.... LET'S GO!!!" Pretty trivial.... but yerz don't say it... 😉

Joe and Bear

16100017319119076584129274799820.jpg

If you do decide to download a manual and print it.....  it ain't cheap on ink.... pretty much a ream of paper...and I'm missing a few pages...

16100023538058587761792648246295.jpg

Thanks for all the help.  Found dealer nearby who will work me in next week.  Guess dealer service department in Marshall where I bought machine short of help or got too many bad products out and can't keep up.  Very disappointed!