2018 Defender HD10 Remote start

• Member ID:  301
  • Content Count:  12

So I have an 18 defender that I’m going to attempt a remote start. I am a Compustar/ArcticStart dealer/installer. I’ve done hundreds of vehicles, never a side by side.  I’ve pulled the ignition switch out to test ignitions. I’ve got 12v, ignition and starter at the key. If I wire them straight forward it pops the 10a fuse under the passenger seat. (Ign fuse). Does anyone have some insight on how they’ve got a remote start to work?

• Member ID:  222
  • Content Count:  5

1 hour ago, JCdefender said:

So I have an 18 defender that I’m going to attempt a remote start. I am a Compustar/ArcticStart dealer/installer. I’ve done hundreds of vehicles, never a side by side.  I’ve pulled the ignition switch out to test ignitions. I’ve got 12v, ignition and starter at the key. If I wire them straight forward it pops the 10a fuse under the passenger seat. (Ign fuse). Visit AutoGuysLand to review obd bluetooth if you want to get one. Does anyone have some insight on how they’ve got a remote start to work?

You can view this instruction on how to work your remote start:

Press the lock button to lock all your vehicle's doors from as far as 325 feet away.

Press the Remote Start (2X) button twice.

Your exterior lights will flash twice and your vehicle will start. Your key fob may have LED lights that turn green to let you know your vehicle has successfully started — or flash red if it hasn't.

Your exterior lights will flash twice and your vehicle will start. Your key fob may have LED lights that turn green to let you know your vehicle has successfully started — or flash red if it hasn't.

Edited by Ricardowelch

I am installing an aftermarket remote start. I understand how to use the system, I need to know more about the ignition set up in these vehicles. 

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  353
  • Content Count:  7

I am a directed dealer with hundreds of remote starts achievements. I’m trying to remote start a 2020 defender. I also encountered the 10 amp fuse pop. Did you find the 12v/ ground sequence to achieve the remote start? Did you need to pull 12 volt from another source besides the Ignition switch? Did you find a tach wire or use a voltage virtual tach?

I found that this vehicle does NOT have the “dess” system. I managed to get the starter activated. By sourcing 12v from main relay under the hood. And got around the 10amp fuse blowing. I think I have figured that the ignition switch must also ground to the yellow/green  wire at ign. Switch during start. As well as 12v powering the yellow/orange. But I had the starter wire black yellow getting hot to touch during starter activation. So I stopped and am seeking advice. Any REAL info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This should be simple compared to many of my installs. However without good wire color support this simple job is making me feel stupid. Lol. I hate that!

Ignition without the DESS is easy to check ignitions. Use a test light. Accessory has power without key on, once key turned to acc, the wire will lose power (test light goes out). That’s a negative accessory. Ignition wire will have power when turned to ignition and starter wire will have power when cranking the starter. But both wires need to be cut and 5-wired with a relay. Accessory needs to be isolated with a relay. 

JCdefender Thank you for your time and info. Did you power your remote start from the tan wires at the ignition switch? It seems that is a 10 amp circuit and will not handle the draw from remote start. If not where did you power the system from. And I am un clear on the reason for 5 wire relays on the starter and the ignition wires. I am assuming this is the reason I had some "HOT" wires as I was just tapping into them with my start and ignition wires from my R.S. I already have converted my accessory wire from positive to a negative with a relay. I would love  some more detail help on your ign. and starter relay wiring. thank you very much I'm sure with your help I can get this working properly. any detailed info you can provide would be great.

I ran a 10 gauge fused wire from battery under the passenger seat, under floor, and up under the dash. 

the ignition and starter wires rest at ground, are interrupted and then powered. So if you power a wire that rests at ground the ignition fuse will blow. 

THANK YOU. I have been busy with other jobs and have not got back to this yet. So just to be clear you only hooked three of the ignition switch wires up.

the negative accessory wire/ the starter wire/and the ignition and starter wires. all thru 5 wired relays? did you need to cut the accessory wire or just negative activate?

Correct. Only those 3 wires. 5-wire ignition and starter, just negative activate the accessory. 

JC I need some more detail advice if you don’t mind. I’m in the shop with the defender again. I got good 12v at rs

i got the negative accessory working properly.

I wired my starter and ignition wires from rs  two different relays pin 85

i powered both relays 12v on pins 86 and 87

I cut ignition and starter wires at the switch. Relays pin 87a to the ignition switch side and pin 30 of the proper relay to the vehicle side of the cut wire.

it starts with the key. 
but will not power up the ignition or starter on remote. 
WHAT AM I MISSING. Lol. I’m sure I’m very close to accomplishing this with your help. 
Thank you.

87 goes to ignition from remote start

87a goes to switch/key side of ignition on vehicle

30 goes to away side of ignition

86 to constant 12v

85 to ground while running from remote start

If that clears things up

• Like 1

Very much appreciated. Your info has been very helpful. It been refreshing to fine someone with real knowledge and experience on here. I figured it out last night. I just needed to take time to get my relays wired proper. I was missing the negative trigger on 85. Thanks again! Everything works as it should!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

• Member ID:  845
  • Content Count:  2

Could anyone help me out and better explain how to wire up the two relays it would be greatly appreciated