2018 Defender HD10 Remote start

• Member ID:  301
  • Content Count:  12

5 hours ago, Tannertallman said:

Tanner, follow my relay pin guide for ignition and starter. It’s a couple posts up. I labeled each pin and where it should go. You’ll have to use a relay for each, ignition and starter. 

then accessory you isolate with a relay,

86 goes to the positive output from the remote starter.

85 goes to ground

87 goes to 12v source (fuse it!)

30 goes to the accessory wire at the key cylinder

87a not used

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  896
  • Content Count:  3

I have 5 wired my starter and Ignition, and isolated the accessory- remote starts great, however it wont do a key take over ? 

• Member ID:  845
  • Content Count:  2

1 hour ago, DefenderBender said:

I have 5 wired my starter and Ignition, and isolated the accessory- remote starts great, however it wont do a key take over ? 

All I did was wire up the brake kill wire to the the red/green or red/orange wire from the brake sensor so after I remote start it I turn the key on and when I tap the brake it shuts the remote start off

2 hours ago, DefenderBender said:

I’d have to check. It’s been a year or so since I did the install. I want to say it didn’t do a take over. 

9 hours ago, Tannertallman said:

All I did was wire up the brake kill wire to the the red/green or red/orange wire from the brake sensor so after I remote start it I turn the key on and when I tap the brake it shuts the remote start off

I as well tapped into the positive brake wire, but when I press the brake the RS shuts down as well as the engine. Key is in the second (ignition) position but requires a re-start after the brake is pressed. Same outcome with Remote shut down with key in the Ignition position ?  Thanks for the help 

9 hours ago, JCdefender said:

I’d have to check. It’s been a year or so since I did the install. I want to say it didn’t do a take over. 

That's kinda what I was thinking. I cant figure out how to accommodate the take over ? Thanks for the input.

7 minutes ago, DefenderBender said:

That's kinda what I was thinking. I cant figure out how to accommodate the take over ? Thanks for the input.

Talked to the guy I did the work for. His shuts down when he hits the brake. No take over. Which would make sense. The ignition doesn’t know they key is in the ignition, other than the tumblers adjusting when the key is inserted to turn the cylinder to the desired position. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  964
  • Content Count:  5

Does anyone happen to know where you can find a tach wire on a defender?  I put a remote start on a 2021 and it will start but does not like voltage sense and shuts off after 25 seconds and needing to see if I have better luck with tach.  thx

What equipment are you using for the remote start?   I used a Compustar CM900 and put option 2-10 to 4, 3sec crank assume start.

Edited by JCdefender

I am using a CM-900 and a Drone.  The defender starts then shuts off after 25 seconds on all three attempts.  The voltage before start up is 12.67 and while running is 14.45.  I would have thought it would recognize this but it is not.  I actually jumped from a running vehicle power to the module and ground to the chassis to isolate the power from a separate source.  The vehicle connected was at 13.8 volts and the Defender stayed running with the separate power.  This is why I am trying to find a tach wire to try.  I tried at the coil pack without any luck.     

And of course my OP500 disappeared last week and my distributor does not have any in stock.  😞

Does have DESS.  

Edited by Chad Boone

Mine was regular key. Maybe a “key in a box” would help?

Dealer said there is no security on it but there is a harness with a DESS tag on it that is under dash.  There is no ball and socket locations for one to go though.  It just looks like a standard key.  These are pics of under dash.  

Did you have any issues with the voltage sense not working?  Have to change any setting other than crank?  

I just unplugged the DESS plug and it goes into a empty socket so it must just be there as a option.  

IMG-6474.jpg

IMG-6476.jpg

Edited by Chad Boone

Mine was regular key. Maybe a “key in a box” would help?

In all my years of remote starts in vehicles I have always found if it is a transponder key issue it will not even crank.  Not for sure what to do till I get my hands on another OP500 to try some different options.  If I could find a tach wire I could try to program it without waiting for a programmer.  Thanks for your help though.