Windshield ????

ChadP

• Member ID:  183
  • Content Count:  14

So we have about 165 miles on our 2019 XMR.  So far we love the shit out of it.  We want a windshield.  It looks like a lot of people have the flip up model.  How does it work while you are in motion?  Does it always need to be flipped down when you are going?  We were thinking about a half fold windshield, but if these are better it maybe something to look at.  Any info would be appreciated.  

• Member ID:  87
  • Content Count:  33

I just ordered the Can Am poly flip up windshield.  I'll be picking it up tomorrow and hopefully installing this weekend.  I saw one on a '19 Defender at the dealer and I was quite impressed at how solid it was in the up position.  You really had to tug on it to get it to come down.  The poly isn't nearly as heavy as the glass version so this should help with the bouncing.  That'll totally depend on the struts that hold it up... we'll see.

We ride in central Florida so it's hot as hell this time of year but it also moonsoon rains at a moment's notice so we're hoping this will work for both situations.

I'll let ya know how we like it in a few weeks.

• Member ID:  176
  • Content Count:  9

I would like to find a poly windshield that folds down halfway from the top.  So top half folds down.

1 hour ago, Comalian said:

I would like to find a poly windshield that folds down halfway from the top.  So top half folds down.

I've looked all around for just that however, the issue I have is the seam fold location.  The only ones I could find puts the seam in the line of sight of my wife.  None of the dealers have one in stock so I can't try it and see if it works for both my wife and myself - the seam is just in the wrong place.  They show me ones on Rangers and other brands but none on a Defender .

Good luck sir and let us know if you find one.

So I installed the windshield yesterday.  Very easy.  I had to remove the 3 bolts at the front of the roof so I could slide the hinges in their holes.  I took my time and it only took 30 minutes to install.

Very, VERY, nice poly windshield.  Looks and feels like glass.

Now, riding with it...remember that I ride in central Florida and it was stupid hot today...like the rest of the county.  Oh, I should add I have a 2019 Defender xmr - completely mechanically stock - tires and all.

Rode with it 1/4 locked.  Drove over my usual terrain about 10-15 mph.  Hard surface, little bumps.  Windsheild was perfectly solid.  It let a reasonable amount of air in but the air followed up the windshield against the inside surface ... it didn't blow out towards the passengers at all.  With the heat outside, it was uncomfortable for the passengers without air in our faces.  I will be installing a fan/fans shortly to hopefully resolve the air flow and excessive heat issues.

Next, I rode with windshield up, same speeds, same terrain.  Not as stable as I thought it would be.  The shocks keep it up nicely but  the windshield did vibrate quite a lot.  I was worried the hinges would eventually fail with the vibration. The shocks that hold it up simply pop onto the ball pins.  I was worried that any excessive amount of vibration and they may pop off the ball pins.  Maybe not but I felt it could.  I am NOT recommending that you ride with the windshield up unless it's a smooth road.  Also, remember I have the xmr mud tires and that could be part of the vibration problem.  I'll have to try again on more sandy environments and see if it's better

Bottom line - I love the windshield.  It looks and feels like very good quality.  

I wish there was a way to have it lock open maybe 1/2 way.  This would let more air in on the super hot days.

More testing to come.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:58 PM, Justjimmy said:

So I installed the windshield yesterday.  Very easy.  I had to remove the 3 bolts at the front of the roof so I could slide the hinges in their holes.  I took my time and it only took 30 minutes to install.

Very, VERY, nice poly windshield.  Looks and feels like glass.

Now, riding with it...remember that I ride in central Florida and it was stupid hot today...like the rest of the county.  Oh, I should add I have a 2019 Defender xmr - completely mechanically stock - tires and all.

Rode with it 1/4 locked.  Drove over my usual terrain about 10-15 mph.  Hard surface, little bumps.  Windsheild was perfectly solid.  It let a reasonable amount of air in but the air followed up the windshield against the inside surface ... it didn't blow out towards the passengers at all.  With the heat outside, it was uncomfortable for the passengers without air in our faces.  I will be installing a fan/fans shortly to hopefully resolve the air flow and excessive heat issues.

Next, I rode with windshield up, same speeds, same terrain.  Not as stable as I thought it would be.  The shocks keep it up nicely but  the windshield did vibrate quite a lot.  I was worried the hinges would eventually fail with the vibration. The shocks that hold it up simply pop onto the ball pins.  I was worried that any excessive amount of vibration and they may pop off the ball pins.  Maybe not but I felt it could.  I am NOT recommending that you ride with the windshield up unless it's a smooth road.  Also, remember I have the xmr mud tires and that could be part of the vibration problem.  I'll have to try again on more sandy environments and see if it's better

Bottom line - I love the windshield.  It looks and feels like very good quality.  

I wish there was a way to have it lock open maybe 1/2 way.  This would let more air in on the super hot days.

More testing to come.

Thanks for the update.  Half way through your post of was ready to pull the trigger,  But at 10-15 mph is didn't feel stable - I'm like 20 to 40 on dirt roads with pot holes and run off ruts.  Hummm

Yeah, at that speed, with pot holes, unless you have better/softer tires, it will vibrate a lot.

1 hour ago, Justjimmy said:

Yeah, at that speed, with pot holes, unless you have better/softer tires, it will vibrate a lot.

As part of my purchase I got half doors, which are being installed today.  While I was there, they had a flip windshield in stock.  I decided to take the chance.  I hope the rear windscreen comes in before Friday as my wife is taking it to the woods for a week (while I get the pleasure of working)  Also,  tires are going to be ordered today at lunch.  Maxxis carnivore or rampage depending on availability. 

Let me know the location of the seam when. You get it installed.

• 2 weeks later...

The flip up windshield now has about 100 miles on it in the up position.  These were mostly dirt roads with speeds of 35 and under.  In short it worked really well.  Sure it flexes, butt it is only the windscreen.  The struts don't move.  I am impressed. 

By the way, the "cracked open" position is worthless for letting enough air in to cool you off. 

Update from a previous post/review.

@chadp - yes, you are correct on both counts.  

I now have about 75 miles on mine and rode it hard with the windshield up and like your experience, mine held up well too.  It did indeed flex but the struts held solid.  Ran thru hard, packed trails, soft sand, roots and lots of mud and water.  I only put it down (1/4 opened) when there was low hanging branches.  Had it up the rest of the day.

The little opening is completely useless for wind on your face.  The wind comes up along the inside of the windshield to the roof.  I bought a few fans  and placed them at the roof level so it redirects the air flow thru the fan into your face.  Not the best solution but it certainly helps on a 95 degree day.

I really like it.