GPS

mlures

• Member ID:  1,341
  • Content Count:  5

What is the best GPS for a Defender. Mostly trail riding.

• Member ID:  1,449
  • Content Count:  16

I have heard good things about the on-x off road app but haven't used it myself. I used to use the polaris ride app on my renegade but since getting the defender, i switched to the gaia gps app because I installed a carplay/android auto screen for a larger map and Gaia works with Android auto. I can import maps and have created a few of my own on private land.

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Content Count:  146

imo a tablet is probably the most versatile setup.  can find the best maps for your region and load them with onx, vvmapping, lifetime trail maps, ride command, avenza (for any forest service maps), etc.  plus you can run music and such as well with it.

garmin is my other choice, anything from a nuvi to a tread will work depending on your needs and maps.  the tread seems like a great setup with some ram mounts.

steve

• Member ID:  2,268
  • Content Count:  12

Even though we have Ride Command on our Pro XP, I've been wanting to get a tablet and getting the Defender without any GPS it pushed me to look further into a tablet.  The guy we buy our stuff from at the dealership recommended gettingoutdoorswithmikeandyvonne. com.  I sent them an email with some questions and he gave me a call.  After talking to him for about 45 minutes I was ready to place the order.  It's shipped but I don't have it yet so I can't say any more.  But I will say Mike is a wealth of knowledge on this topic and their products are reasonable and they are all about training on the maps and tablets.

Incidentally, I went with the OUKITEL RT3 Android 8" Waterproof Rugged ATV/SXS Navigation Tablet, 8 & 8.7" Tablet RAM Mount Universal Plate Double Ball Mount and the Northern SXS/ATV Trails.  He sent me screenshots of the trail map to confirm it works for where we ride.

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Content Count:  146

i know i would never depend solely on ride command.  it is very unreliable in wi and often gets people in trouble because it is wrong.

steve