Stereo cutting out

• Member ID:  2,140
  • Content Count:  6

I have a 2020 Defender Max HD10DPS. I've added a light bar, whips, rock lights, 4 x DS18 8" coaxials in the roof with a kicker 4 channel amp running those, and 2 x 12" DS18 subs in the bed with a Skar Audio 1000 watt amp pushing them. I'm running a DS18 MRX150 for the head unit. After riding for a while the coaxials will cut out but the subs continue to work. If its drawing too much power I would have assumed the sub amp would cut out before the highs and mids do. If I turn the volume down they come back on almost immediately. Turn the volume back up and they go out again. The longer I ride the lower I have to put the volume to get them to work again. Any ideas?

def-1.png

def-2.png

• Member ID:  1,449
  • Content Count:  16

It sounds like a power issue to me. An upgraded battery, pc1200 I think has been recommended in the past, and/or a 2nd battery, along with an upgraded stator wouldn't hurt. It's possible the amps have different thresholds for voltage before they go into protection mode which would explain why the sub keeps going. You could check voltage while you're running music and see where it's at when it cuts out, and turn accessories on and off to see where extra draw may be coming from.

17 hours ago, Phaez1 said:

It sounds like a power issue to me. An upgraded battery, pc1200 I think has been recommended in the past, and/or a 2nd battery, along with an upgraded stator wouldn't hurt. It's possible the amps have different thresholds for voltage before they go into protection mode which would explain why the sub keeps going. You could check voltage while you're running music and see where it's at when it cuts out, and turn accessories on and off to see where extra draw may be coming from.

Thanks for responding. I've already got the 850 watt stator. I don't see one rated higher than that. just ordered the Odessey battery from Amazon. Hopefully that solves the issue. The MRX150 actually gives you voltage on the home screen. Its never dropped below 12.5 volts and has been as high 13.8. I figured that was the issue, just weird to me that its the smaller amp drawing less power that's shutting down. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I swapped in a DS18 battery and it helped a little but my mids and highs still shut down at higher volume. This was the largest capacity battery they make. Not sure where to go from here. A 2 farad capacitor maybe? The voltmeter on the head unit never dropped below 12.8 volts and was as high as 14.4 at times. 

71218577917__989478F9-C5E0-4C0F-AE92-7D581DA760EF.jpeg

Edited by Dave99