seat belts

jeff1972

• Member ID:  1,823
  • Content Count:  1

Just bought a new defender xt and find the seatbelts short in length .Are they all like that, do i have to buy seat belt extenders ?

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Content Count:  146

seems to be like that on all of them, if you find an extension let us know.  i tried one on my x3 without any luck.  might be easiest to put it on a trailer and take it to an auto parts place that will let you take them outside to try to see if one works.

steve

• Member ID:  1,449
  • Content Count:  16

I had a lot of trouble finding a seat belt extension as well, everything on the market is for a vehicle and the defender's clip is much bigger. I ended up making some extensions for the buckle rather than trying to extend the belt. Also makes it easier to clip in for everyone because youre not practically sitting on the clip. I just got some flat steel, cut some various length chunks, drlllied a hole on each end, then rounded off the edges with a grinder.  Bolts from the hardware store and I was all set. I didn't have any heat shrink on hand so I wrapped them in electrical tape to avoid any chaffing on the seats. The plan is to add heat shrink this winter while im working on lighting and stereo. Depending on how much you raise it, any seats with the belt sensor for limiting speed may need to have the wires extended. There are bypass options available as well but I wanted to keep mine functioning with a teenage driver in the house. The box in the center seat that you can kind of see is a bed for the dogs so they can lay down. Bolts to the codder pins on the armrest and bottom of the seat for easy removal and goes up to the dash. 🙂

20221203_192751.jpg

20221203_192812.jpg

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Content Count:  146

Huh that's a great idea.  I tried lowering the mount point at the top on my x3 and my wife wasn't fond of it.  

Steve