2021 defender max limited hd10 problems

Eviltwin

Question

• Member ID:  696
  • Content Count:  4

Bought new last week the following problems encountered were as follows

1) less than an hour dash went out then started working a day later.  

2) 4.5 hours ac stopped working with triangle flashing.  Blinking triangle on heat/ac/ auto setting after 15 minutes of run time.  Ran machine next day, ac will work for 20 minutes then quits working.  

3) 5 hours mode change inoperable. machine gives you ability to switch modes but seems to be locked in eco mode.  Setting can be changed on screen but wont turn eco mode off, cant go over 40mph.  

4) 5.5 hours filled machine up with fresh fuel took 10 minutes for fuel guage to come up to full.  Was told by dealer that this is in the design of sending unit.

5) 6 hours machine seems to sputter every now and then like a slight misfire.  It has done this from the beginning.

6) 6.5 hours dropped machine off to dealer this morning with the laundry list, exactly one week after purchase.

I will keep everyone posted.

5 answers to this question

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

From what I continually read.... I'M GLAD I BOUGHT A 2019.... As for #4.... Bears guage is pretty slow... and takes an act of God to completely fill him.... with the design of the filler... For the most part it's no real issue considering we rarely push the limits of say a 150 mile run... only a couple times wheelin' in HEAVY SNOW did we even get close... 100 miles.... It also sounds as if you have a fuel tank venting issue.... 

THE PROBLEM as I see it, is the AC UNIT!!! Not sure what CanAm is going to do..... considering you and MANY OTHERS are having the same issues...... With no fix in sight yet..... I mean heck!!! They can't even get the heat to work on half of them.... At least if they COULD get the heat working....... and BYPASS THE AC!!!! ( until they get it figured out) Give everyone a rebate check for the cost the AC. And when they actually FIGURE IT OUT..... They activate the units (in good faith for the MAJOR INCONVENIENCE) FREE OF CHARGE!!! 

Unfortunately..... I don't see that happening. 

GOOD LUCK!!!

Joe

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  274

Ugh, so sorry to hear you're having these issues on a new machine! Hopefully, your dealer can make it right and get everything fixed quickly for you.

• Member ID:  696
  • Content Count:  4

On 10/17/2020 at 12:36 PM, Eviltwin said:

Bought new last week the following problems encountered were as follows

1) less than an hour dash went out then started working a day later.  

2) 4.5 hours ac stopped working with triangle flashing.  Blinking triangle on heat/ac/ auto setting after 15 minutes of run time.  Ran machine next day, ac will work for 20 minutes then quits working.  

3) 5 hours mode change inoperable. machine gives you ability to switch modes but seems to be locked in eco mode.  Setting can be changed on screen but wont turn eco mode off, cant go over 40mph.  

4) 5.5 hours filled machine up with fresh fuel took 10 minutes for fuel guage to come up to full.  Was told by dealer that this is in the design of sending unit.

5) 6 hours machine seems to sputter every now and then like a slight misfire.  It has done this from the beginning.

6) 6.5 hours dropped machine off to dealer this morning with the laundry list, exactly one week after purchase.

I will keep everyone posted.

Wanted to update on my new 2021 defender limited hd10

Ac problem fixed.  It was due to low freon from factory.  Weather is in the 50s now so i will have to wait until spring.  Had a 75f day 1st day back from dealer and it seemed to cool decent, it was only 75f so time will tell.

The electrical problems and inability to change modes was due to a bad dash/monitor.  Modes seem to change as they should and gauges work as they should.

I noticed after test driving the machine there seems to be a consistent driveline vibration.  I know these machines vibrate a little, especially on the roads with the atv tires, but am i splitting hairs here after dropping 30k?  Im not in 4 wheel drive and the differtial lock is not engaged.   I get a vibration at most speeds on gravel and asphalt to the point that it rattles the panels inside the machine.  Anybody have any thoughts on this one?  Ive owned other side by sides (all open rops).  Is it more noticeable because of the closed cab  with no radio, (because none is currently available?)

It feels like nothing is balanced in the driveline.

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  274

Glad to hear they were able to fix the AC and the mode selector!

I just recently traded my Defender Lone Star Max in on a new 2021 Ranger Ultimate Trail Boss to dodge the AC issue and because of the rough nature of the Defender's driveline. I have to say, I was absolutely shocked how smooth the Ranger was compared to the Defender. It's a night and day difference in low speed ride quality and clutch engagement. I loved the overall size and the fit and finish of the Defender, but when it comes down to a nice relaxing driving experience, the Ranger has that in spades!

• Member ID:  1,214
  • Content Count:  3

Hi, 

I purchased a 2021 as well , I have leaking windshield , dash lights out , won't go into 4x4 , AC shuts off and wouldn't start from time to time.    I spoke with the mechanic at dealer and looks like they have absolutely little training on this unit and no fixes for the problems that we are encountering. Can-Am recommends you take the machine to an AC repair place to get unit fixed are you kidding me?