Has anyone upgraded the steering wheel?

pmbaseball24

• Member ID:  298
  • Content Count:  107

Looking to see if anyone has swapped out the steering wheel. Plenty of info on the X3’s and RZR swaps, but haven’t found anything on our defenders. I’m assuming our machines still require the hub adapter? Looking at assault industries, but open to any other brands if anyone has any input. Thanks!!

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

I upgraded to the heated wheel. Much nicer feel. AND IT'S HEATED

• Member ID:  467
  • Content Count:  2

Heated wheel is great.

Nice! I’m assuming this is a factory can am part? Didn’t even think to check into factory accessories for it. Did you need to buy the special puller to remove the stock steering wheel?

22 minutes ago, pmbaseball24 said:

Nice! I’m assuming this is a factory can am part? Didn’t even think to check into factory accessories for it. Did you need to buy the special puller to remove the stock steering wheel?

Negative on "special" puller.... a 3 leg puller worked.... BUT IT TWEAKED THE ORIGINAL... Oh well.... LOVE THE HEATED WHEEL and butt cushions covers.... thinking about a set of heat pads for my backs as well. Covers aren't big enough to cover the backs...

One step closer to completion! I ended up going with the assault steering wheel.  Just an FYI.... anyone looking to upgrade their steering wheel, you will need to get a special puller of some sort. There is a video on YouTube of a guy backing the main 24mm nut off and just giving it a good pull. This was on a can am X3, not sure what year it is. Anyway... this guy either has hulk strength, or they didn’t put locktite on his model because I was pulling on this thing after soaking it for a night in penetrating oil and no such luck.

The “special puller” I was asking about in the previous post won’t fit because our wheels don’t have the female nuts embedded in them like other brands/models have. I’ll include a picture of this tool in the bottom just so you know what NOT to get.

After purchasing a bearing puller and separator kit off amazon, it came right off this morning. I checked my local auto parts stores to see if they had any to rent and I struck out. New tool added to the garage. Thanks amazon.

I had to stack both pullers behind the wheel to get the proper clearance around the center plastic on the wheel. Smaller one to get the proper diameter to snug up to the back of the wheel, larger one to clear the steering wheel. Start cranking down and a big POP! Off she went. Can am definitely uses some thread locker on the splines of these wheels. No way to pull it off yourself. Just wanted to give a quick write up of how I went about it in case anyone is looking to swap out the wheel. 

I only have one more hurdle to climb, assault wasn’t able to verify fitment of their hub adapter to the 2020 model. He thinks they are the same spline and shaft dimension as earlier models. I’ll know on Tuesday when everything shows up and update this thread. Fingers crossed, because this could kill the whole project.

for now, here is a picture of the wheel I decided to go with. As well as a picture of the puller kit I used. 

Happy Sunday!!

9E762141-70F6-4ED7-BC03-359743B8D24A.jpeg

C8A02CA4-B730-4068-BF0B-2E65A74754C9.jpeg

45590124-4DA5-4AA0-BE44-3B601FCD2D7E.jpeg

Edited by pmbaseball24
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, pmbaseball24 said:

One step closer to completion! I ended up going with the assault steering wheel.  Just an FYI.... anyone looking to upgrade their steering wheel, you will need to get a special puller of some sort. There is a video on YouTube of a guy backing the main 24mm nut off and just giving it a good pull. This was on a can am X3, not sure what year it is. Anyway... this guy either has hulk strength, or they didn’t put locktite on his model because I was pulling on this thing after soaking it for a night in penetrating oil and no such luck.

The “special puller” I was asking about in the previous post won’t fit because our wheels don’t have the female nuts embedded in them like other brands/models have. I’ll include a picture of this tool in the bottom just so you know what NOT to get.

After purchasing a bearing puller and separator kit off amazon, it came right off this morning. I checked my local auto parts stores to see if they had any to rent and I struck out. New tool added to the garage. Thanks amazon.

I had to stack both pullers behind the wheel to get the proper clearance around the center plastic on the wheel. Smaller one to get the proper diameter to snug up to the back of the wheel, larger one to clear the steering wheel. Start cranking down and a big POP! Off she went. Can am definitely uses some thread locker on the splines of these wheels. No way to pull it off yourself. Just wanted to give a quick write up of how I went about it in case anyone is looking to swap out the wheel. 

I only have one more hurdle to climb, assault wasn’t able to verify fitment of their hub adapter to the 2020 model. He thinks they are the same spline and shaft dimension as earlier models. I’ll know on Tuesday when everything shows up and update this thread. Fingers crossed, because this could kill the whole project.

for now, here is a picture of the wheel I decided to go with. As well as a picture of the puller kit I used. 

Happy Sunday!!

9E762141-70F6-4ED7-BC03-359743B8D24A.jpeg

C8A02CA4-B730-4068-BF0B-2E65A74754C9.jpeg

45590124-4DA5-4AA0-BE44-3B601FCD2D7E.jpeg

HA HA.... I watched that same video!!! I think my color was off, because that dude must have been PISSED OFF!!! AND GREEN!!! 

Because I too needed a puller... but a standard 3 leg puller worked for me... it did tweak a little on the old wheel.... but I wasn't planning on using it again... so it DID NOT WIN!!! Might have put the pressure to it.... put the nut on loosely.... and gave it a POP!!! IT WAS A BOOGER!!! BUT IT CAME OFF!!! I WIN!! No pun intended..... But it was like WRESTLING A BEAR!!! LOL 😉

Well guys, UPS showed up a day early! Everything fit like a glove! Hub adapter slid right into place. Thank god. I was a little worried about the hub adapter fitting inside the black plastic covers that fit on the upper and lower portions of the steering column but it just cleared it! Phew! I never get this lucky.

For anyone looking to do this mod, you need to get the hub adapter for the (Polaris ace/Ranger/defender) on assaults website. Fits the splines on a 2020!

Got everything bolted up and took it for a spin. Great feel and there is a noticeable difference in how ridged the steel framed wheel feels over the stock. 

0F9F36E2-7FAB-4F45-99AB-40BF253556DE.jpeg

B96C6E8E-B31E-4FB6-8A7D-6FD376A82025.jpeg

1D4C860B-1023-4E3C-8F56-F69F4229D917.jpeg

D503D382-43BA-41F6-BB23-EB9F86C34582.jpeg

Edited by pmbaseball24
  • Like 4