2020 Defender Limited windshield leak

Lonewolf66

• Member ID:  459
  • Content Count:  5

Hello all !! I'm new here and i have a problem . My windshield leaks bad at the top of the frame of ny 2020 Limited. A new seal around the window will not fix it .The windshield is not mounted close enough to the frame to get a good seal and there is no adjustment to bring it in tighter. Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone know of a fix for this? I am scared to put my stereo in because i don't want to get water on the components. Thanks for any help anyone can give!

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

1 hour ago, Lonewolf66 said:

Hello all !! I'm new here and i have a problem . My windshield leaks bad at the top of the frame of ny 2020 Limited. A new seal around the window will not fix it .The windshield is not mounted close enough to the frame to get a good seal and there is no adjustment to bring it in tighter. Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone know of a fix for this? I am scared to put my stereo in because i don't want to get water on the components. Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Not sure which post... I believe it is the... is it raining outside... oh wait that's inside... but I also had the issue with other areas that could use sealing.... the back window... around the frame of my doors.... but I found that some 3M window/door insulation worked wonders. Also found some EXPANDING tape I cant wait to try... my stereo is below along side my shifter in the center drop covered by a custom top built by me... couldnt see spending the money on an ATV stereo.... ran the speaker wires up th A pillar (4 speakers...) along with plenty of other HOT leads for my lights... which are switched via 4 swithes mounted in a panel I made to cover the area where the stereo was to go.... I've posted most of what I've done at some point or another... but if you ever need help just hit me up...

You being new here and all.... Let me say, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! Some pretty decent people here and lots O info.... So feel free to ask about anything.... well DEFENDER RELATED.... LOL

Edited by A hunt 2 remember

Thanks so much for the info! My receiver and speakers have to go up top so i definitelyΒ  need to fix this. My buddy has a limited as well and his leaks bad also. Ive got a call into a good friend of mine that runs a body shop and is top notch. Going to see if i can get the same shaped seal around the windshield, in a thicker size. My dealer contacted can am and the tech said this issue was common and he had one as well. he put a extra stripe across the top and turned it to go down both sides. He said it worked great. he said can am did not have a recall yet to replace with thicker seals. I'll let you know when i hear from the body shop.

25 minutes ago, Lonewolf66 said:

Thanks so much for the info! My receiver and speakers have to go up top so i definitelyΒ  need to fix this. My buddy has a limited as well and his leaks bad also. Ive got a call into a good friend of mine that runs a body shop and is top notch. Going to see if i can get the same shaped seal around the windshield, in a thicker size. My dealer contacted can am and the tech said this issue was common and he had one as well. he put a extra stripe across the top and turned it to go down both sides. He said it worked great. he said can am did not have a recall yet to replace with thicker seals. I'll let you know when i hear from the body shop.

Have too?? My speakers are up top.Β  Just couldn't justify twice that of a deeper deck. It was a quick fix and its constant live rather than off with ignition... By buliding the box/cover it also gave me a place to mount my gps and outdoor thermostat....but ive gone WAY ABOVE OEM wiring.... door switches for dome....and added mico switch to operate with doors closed...Β added breaker panel off AUX battery... multiple light bars... OEM LIGHTS ARE A JOKE!!! But, I STILL LOVE MY BEAR!!!

Even with a broken right wrist!!! But Gorilla Axle is building him a set of BIONIC PROSTHETIC ARMS (AXLES) so I CAN REBUILD HIM!!! Might need to change his name to Steve " the bionic bear" Austin... πŸ˜‰

I think once I recoup from the past couple months of HELL!!!! I'll get him a set of legs (rears) before we go again....Β 

15907031532692874720851554694541.jpg

15907033052082259465736149960658.jpg

• Like 1

in the 2020 limited. i dont have the same space on the dash you have . If i had your space, and my radio was there, the water drip line from the leak would hit right on top of the face of the radio.Β  i would post some pics but it is still at the dealer. All things considered, I love my machine as well. I have experience with kawasaki, yamaha, and polaris. Can am is hands down the best. I farm , so i have great performance comparisons. LOL !

I have been looking through this site for a while. Just officially joined today. I have seen the "BEAR" and you have a very sweet ride!

59 minutes ago, Lonewolf66 said:

I have been looking through this site for a while. Just officially joined today. I have seen the "BEAR" and you have a very sweet ride!

Thank you!! If you click on my A avatar... you can then access post ive started... or even just search is it raining outside....Β 

• 11 months later...

• Member ID:  1,000
  • Content Count:  3

On 5/28/2020 at 4:37 PM, Lonewolf66 said:

Β 

Can you please send a picture of your strip added!!! Thanks so much :) my cab is leaking in 3 places!!

6 hours ago, Susie said:

Can you please send a picture of your strip added!!! Thanks so much :) my cab is leaking in 3 places!!

IMG_6767.MOV

Thats BAD!!! Here is a picture of the foam I used on the windshield....(in the frame) it was a door weather seal from Home Depot... But that was only ONE of the issues... The gasket that seals the roof to the roll cage may very well also be AN ISSUE.... The assembly teams are WEAK SAUCE!!! AND DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THE SEAL.... Not their rig DON'TCHA KNOW.... So I put this expandable foam tape between them.... MUCH BETTER NOW... I guess my question to you is.... Do you notice the leaking if it were to just sit in the pouring down rain? OR.... Does it leak like that only after driving it? Does it come out of the upper console? Because if I remember correctly, if it were the upper seal of the windshield,Β  it wouldn't fill the console.... BUT.... if it is the roof seal???? It will run right into that cavity.... And with that much leaking.... I'm thinking you have a roof seal leak... NOT so much a windshield issue....

GOOD LUCK!!!

Joe/Bear

16200770839645992679290370596758.jpg

16200775537085920891295407831688.jpg

Thanks so much Joe taking back to dealership because I just got last week & it’s a 2021. I sent the video to them too & they called back today.Β 
πŸ™‚ thanks for take the time to comment. πŸ™‚

49 minutes ago, Susie said:

Thanks so much Joe taking back to dealership because I just got last week & it’s a 2021. I sent the video to them too & they called back today.Β 
πŸ™‚ thanks for take the time to comment. πŸ™‚

No problem at all. Need to look out for each other... these toys arent cheap...