2020 Defender HD10 Not always starting

Defender Bender

Question

• Member ID:  2,437
  • Content Count:  1

I have a 2020 Defender HD10 that usually starts but sometimes after running it for a while after i shut it off and try to restart it doesn't want to start. Battery has full voltage. It tries to crank but barely turns over, tries several times and then stops. Usually if i leave it sit for a while it starts right up again.

3 answers to this question

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

First thing to check is for vacuum in the gas tank. Next time it won't start, open the gas cap then try. If it starts like normal, then that means one of the check valves on the vent lines for the gas tank is bad (or the line has something plugging it) and not allowing air in as gas is pumped out.

• Member ID:  2,441
  • Content Count:  3

I have a new HD9 and had/have a ‘similar’ issue.  It only starts intermittently when in Park or Neutral - UNLESS I have my foot on the brake.  It starts every time when I do - also good for safety of course.  I asked the dealer and they said it was a known issue with that model and not to worry about it?  Seeing it’s a small thing I haven’t bothered following it up.  

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

23 hours ago, Mat said:

I have a new HD9 and had/have a ‘similar’ issue.  It only starts intermittently when in Park or Neutral - UNLESS I have my foot on the brake.  It starts every time when I do - also good for safety of course.  I asked the dealer and they said it was a known issue with that model and not to worry about it?  Seeing it’s a small thing I haven’t bothered following it up.  

It sounds like a failing safety switch. 

I know on my '19 that sometimes when put it in Park, it doesn't always settle in so I have to use the brake or rock the machine forward and backward until it 'clicks' into Park.