2018 Defender HD10 XT Cab

Ziptie

Question

• Member ID:  2,164
  • Content Count:  2

Hi Guys, new here. recently picked up a 2018 HD10 and both rear wheels had some play so i ordered new bearings. after changing the bearings I still have a little play up and down and side to side. Definitely in the hub as I can see it moving. I have the conical washer in place and torqued to 170lb ft. I suspect it may be aftermarket axles as the castle nut is a 30mm and i think the stock is 27mm? could be wrong about that. anyone have any ideas as to what the solution might be? add a smaller washer to allow it to tighten down properly?

1 answer to this question

• Member ID:  2,164
  • Content Count:  2

I tried adding another washer in case the castle nut was hitting the beginning of the splines but it didn’t make much difference. after further examination it appears that the hubs have some slop between them and the axle splines. Has anyone had this before? Trying to figure out now if the Hubs are worn and need to be replaced or if the axle splines are possibly worn. They both look fine. I don’t have any experience with the defender hubs so I am not sure how tight they typically are when they slide on.