Squeaky suspension

Ryan Clark

Question

• Member ID:  2,143
  • Content Count:  5

I have 2021 XT HD10 and both the front and rear suspension squeaks pretty bad. I put Elka stage 3 shocks on it yesterday and when I had the shocks off and moved the A arms up and down it sounded like every bushing was squeaking. I spray them with silicone and grease everything and it gets better for a short time but then it come back. Any ideas? Are the stock bushings bad? Thanks for the help!!

7 answers to this question

• Member ID:  1,030
  • Content Count:  47

i have the same problems with my shocks also and spray them and everything else but no cure on my 2020 defender.  

• Member ID:  2,149
  • Content Count:  3

Same issue here.  From what I've read it's the bushings indeed, all of them.  I saw a kit somewhere, it was WAY overpriced, with replacement bushings for the whole vehicle that are supposed to stop the sqeaking. 

Did you ever do anything with yours to try and stop the sqeaking? 

• Member ID:  2,261
  • Content Count:  1

Feel your pain! Just bought a 2021 HD10 Defender DPS Max and the suspension squeaked so badly when I bought it that I removed EVERY suspension bushing (upper/lower A arms, torshion bar, etc) re-greased, added a little white lithium grease as an extra special touch, and it was 100% quiet, and I was so happy!  Then I took it out for three days on a hunt, it was nice and quiet.  Brought it home, sprayed it off, put it in the garage.  Come out next week, it is squeaking like before.  So pissed after all that work to be right back where it was.  I'm going to look into different bushings and will repost if I find something reasonable.  Terrible job from Can Am to let this go into production, they had to know.

nripley1...  It is very frustrating! Love my machine but the squeaking is horrible. If I drive through 1 water puddle it will go away for the rest of the day. When I spray everything with silicon spray it doesn't even go away anymore. I guess I need to look into aftermarket bushing.    

• Member ID:  1,318
  • Content Count:  7

On 7/21/2023 at 8:31 AM, Ryan Clark said:

I have 2021 XT HD10 and both the front and rear suspension squeaks pretty bad. I put Elka stage 3 shocks on it yesterday and when I had the shocks off and moved the A arms up and down it sounded like every bushing was squeaking. I spray them with silicone and grease everything and it gets better for a short time but then it come back. Any ideas? Are the stock bushings bad? Thanks for the help!!

Sorry, I can’t help with your question, I was wondering about your Elka shocks.  How much smoother did it improve your ride?  We just came back from HMT trails in WV, it was horribly rough!  I either need shocks to make it ride smooth, or buy a sport machine

Sorry, I can’t help with your question, I was wondering about your Elka shocks.  How much smoother did it improve your ride?  We just came back from HMT trails in WV, it was horribly rough!  I either need shocks to make it ride smooth, or buy a sport machine

Scott they were a huge improvement! I went with stage 3's and we ride pretty rough trails here in Wisconsin and I could not believe the difference. Remember it's still a work machine so it doesn't have as much suspension travel as some of the sport machines but the Elka shocks are amazing!