Cat Delete

Melvin

Question

• Member ID:  1,675
  • Content Count:  2

I'm new to the SXS world so forgive the goofy questions please. My 2022 can am defender max hd9 xt is getting really hot under the bed, in fact there is some glowing red. I've read a lot about cat deletes or gutting the cat, most everyone says just do it, I'm not very engine savvy so I'm not sure if this should be done and if so is there any special things that need to be done in order to keep the machine running correctly. Most folks are saying just take it off and knock the guts out and put it back on and everything will be fine or replace with a piece of pipe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.    

3 answers to this question

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Content Count:  152

it is worth it to pull the spark arrestor out first, they get plugged up and can cause the pipe to glow red.  This might be an easier option as it is only a few 11mm bolts (if i remember correctly) to pull the cap off and pull it out.

the older x3 cats you could drill through and break the guts out, the material is too hard in them now and wont allow them to be drilled easily.  Not sure if that is the case on the defenders as well but you could try it.  gutting the cat wont cause any issues with anything, it will be slightly louder but is negligible.

I havent looked for myself but you might be able to just buy an aftermarket mid pipe for these as well.  I know the x3 you can.  good luck either way!

steve

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Content Count:  152

https://www.commanderforums.org/threads/defender-tune-up.65798/

you could also do something like that, which you may have already found.  that seems like a simple way to do it.  you could also use a flex pipe potentially.  that would get my vote if you can find one that would fit in place.

steve

• Member ID:  1,675
  • Content Count:  2

So I took the entire exhaust off of my buggy and the catalytic converter is completely hollow, there is literally nothing in it. I’m not sure what happened here, I just bought the machine 4 months ago and this is the first time we’ve ever done anything to the engine. Anyone ever seen anything like this.