Defender 6x6 tire size

• Member ID:  1,096
  • Content Count:  1

Does anyone know how much minimum space I need between the rear tires of a defender 6x6? The stock tires are 27 x 11 on 14 inch rims (maxis bighorns). They have 4.5 inches of space between them. As I understand it, 30 inchers will fit ok, that would leave 1.5 inches between the rear tires. Wondering if I could go to 31 inchers, that would leave only .5 of an inch between tires, is that enough with axle articulation? I'm just trying to get as much ground clearance as possible as we use the vehicle for prospecting and frequently find ourselves in very rocky creeks where more clearance is needed if I can get it. Thanks so much to anyone that can help!

• 8 months later...

• Member ID:  814
  • Content Count:  37

Not sure if you got an answer on this, I have seen 30” tires on a 6x6. Wondering if you had the measurements of the distance between the hubs? I am trying to figure out if the Outlander 6x6 tracks will fit on the Defender 6x6, would also be able to figure tire size with that spacing.

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  2,218

Do you realize how wrong the math is on this?      If you have 4.5 inches of space. Assuming you're starting with 27's. That means you have 2.25 inches of space from both tires to work with. If you put 2 30's on there they will absolutely touch. This means the absolute maximum tire size you could run is a 29 considering it's a true 29 and the lug does not extend past that mark.

• 3 months later...

• Member ID:  2,435

On 9/19/2023 at 12:49 PM, Jonas said:

Do you realize how wrong the math is on this?      If you have 4.5 inches of space. Assuming you're starting with 27's. That means you have 2.25 inches of space from both tires to work with. If you put 2 30's on there they will absolutely touch. This means the absolute maximum tire size you could run is a 29 considering it's a true 29 and the lug does not extend past that mark.

I made an account just to respond to you,  your math is wrong.

1. The 6x6 was designed to fit 30s from the factory. 

2. The axle to lug difference between 27" and 31" is 2" not 4" so there would technically be a .5" gap if all things were perfectly accurate. 

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

On 9/19/2023 at 1:49 PM, Jonas said:

Agreeing with VagabondMatt.

I think you conflated your numbers, i.e. Diameter vs. Radius. In your example, you are adding that 2.25" to the overall diameter, when in fact that 2.25" is the additional radius, so technically the 2.25" increase in radius should be doubled (making it 4.5") before adding it to the overall diameter, which would make it 31.5" tire size.

Which means, you could conceivably put 31" tires on, but I wouldn't as you need to give enough space for tire flex from heat and load carried. 1/2" isn't enough considering that only gives each tire a 1/4" increase to its radius (1/2" overall diameter).

Edited by Steelslinger