Defender MAX XMR start anomalies

Hunter K

Question

• Member ID:  825
  • Content Count:  2

I have a 2020 Defender MAX XMR. Started having unusual starting issues a week ago. Fired right up in the garage (heated) and parked outside in 20F for about an hour. When attempting restart outside it took several attempts with long crank cycles. Today turn key to start and you can hear fuel pump and it won’t crank, Off and on several times still nothing, made sure was in park. Still nothing. Checked battery 12.84 VDC. Tried starting again and nothing until I depressed brake. I took machine on a short drive. Parked back in garage and restarted multiple times without needing to depress brake. I’ve had the Defender for 6 months and have never had to press brakes to start before. What the heck is going on?!

3 answers to this question

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

Make sure you check the on dash gear indicator, often times the machine will not go into Park, and if you rock it, you can hear it click into Park. Otherwise, just always use the Brake when starting, it will start in any gear then.

• Member ID:  827
  • Content Count:  2

My guy at can am dealer said they have seen a run on ignition failures lately. My 3 day old 2021 already had a ignition replaced. The delater have in stock. Symptom was Turn key dash light turn key to start position Nothing happened try a few more times and it started. They replaced ignition and now no more issue. Starts with No abnormal delay. 

Edited by themacguru

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

On 1/4/2021 at 2:25 PM, Steelslinger said:

Make sure you check the on dash gear indicator, often times the machine will not go into Park, and if you rock it, you can hear it click into Park. Otherwise, just always use the Brake when starting, it will start in any gear then.

EXACTLY... I find parking Bear on a incline/decline helps set the tranny in park. But if I park him on the flat..... I have to rock him a little before he actually drops into park... You will get used to it, and it will most likely no longer be an issue.... 

Good luck!!

Joe and Bear