Need help with can am light bar install

• Member ID:  20
  • Content Count:  100

Looks Good!  I kinda figured your rig would be Maroon but the camo is nice too.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  108
  • Content Count:  13

Nice work. I have just purchased my 1st Defender and have a LED light bar to install (not from Can-Am). Looking for some instructions on the following:

(1) How to connect into the existing wiring to add more lights and switches. I am not experienced at auto-electrical so need some of the basics explained. Any ideas on where to start?

(2) How to dismantle the dash to get access to the wiring etc. Just got my Defender so not keen on breaking the dash yet!!

My light bar is not from Can-Am so I don't have a part number to look up instructions. Do you have a reference I can use? 

PS: is there a "mechanics" manual which provides more detail than the owners manual?

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  105
  • Content Count:  20

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 3:19 AM, Ben said:

Nice work. I have just purchased my 1st Defender and have a LED light bar to install (not from Can-Am). Looking for some instructions on the following:

(1) How to connect into the existing wiring to add more lights and switches. I am not experienced at auto-electrical so need some of the basics explained. Any ideas on where to start?

(2) How to dismantle the dash to get access to the wiring etc. Just got my Defender so not keen on breaking the dash yet!!

My light bar is not from Can-Am so I don't have a part number to look up instructions. Do you have a reference I can use? 

PS: is there a "mechanics" manual which provides more detail than the owners manual?

1st question Ben, did you get a wiring harness with your light bar purchase?  The harness will look like the link here https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-40A-LED-Work-Fog-Light-Bar-Wiring-Harness-Kit-ON-OFF-Switch-Relay-Cable-KIT/372385548066?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144.

You really need a relay and fuse with the switch.  This type of kit in the link above has the relay and fuse prewired for you. (keeps it simple)

Question 2)... to remove dash where switches are on the center panel (see pic), reach behind and push on panel and it will pop out.  (FYI, if you have a heater, it needs to be loosened and pivoted out of the way to get to the electrical block as seen in Mark's pic above).  There is a black plastic cap on that covers the terminals (one black terminal is negative or ground referred often as "-" and two red which are positive or Hot referred to as "+").  You will want to connect your ground wire from the switch, to the black wire terminal.  The red wire will go to the opposite red wire on the block (both the black and red you want to hook to are the outside terminals on the block.  The center one stays hot with the key on or off)

When wiring your light bar, see the pic below that has the blue banner regarding "rocker switch.  The diagram there shows which wire goes from the switch to the relay or power.  Since you will be wiring to the terminal under the dash on the Can Am to the hot that only comes on with the key, you can combine the two terminals on the switch that are red on the rocker switch diagram, and also combine the two ground (black wires) on the top of the switch.  These two wires (and usually a yellow wire which goes to the light) are in the harness kit with the relay as seen in the image below of the back side of the switch.

The switches on the dash need to be cut out to accept the switch.  I would recommend that you buy a matching switch (Amber) https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBS-LED-Light-Bar-AMBER-Can-Am-Maverick-Commander-Defender-Rocker-Switch/132498409339?hash=item1ed985477b:g:ZwIAAOSw9vlafK5Q:sc:USPSFirstClass!54025!US!-1

If you use the switch locations to the left of the steering wheel, you simply need to fish your wires over the top of the steering column,

Hope that helps.  let us know if you have more questions.  The first one is always a bit intimidating.

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4252.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  108
  • Content Count:  13

Thanks @Jerry this is perfect!! Out of interest, I found what looks to be a spare set of wires (inserted into the black plastic  switch/block to the left of the main block. Any idea what this is for? 

C482AB84-A643-4FE2-96B0-96C45E70D533.jpeg

371579EF-F690-4A87-AFC2-3FED5A0877E6.jpeg

• Member ID:  105
  • Content Count:  20

My best guess is it for an optional accessory such as a heater. 

• Member ID:  20
  • Content Count:  100

Ben,

looks to me like a can am plug that goes to the back of their switches.  Do you have the Work/Eco/Normal Mode selector switch on you machine? This may have been an option on some models.  If yes, Is it functioning? If so might check your other switches to make sure they all work.

• 11 months later...

• Member ID:  305
  • Content Count:  24

For those of you who have a light bar mounted up top, what have you used to keep the light bar from moving (changing its pitch)? I’ve got a rubber washer in for now, but it’s not perfect. The light bar has notched groves but the brackets I ordered (Jeep Cherokee) are smooth, therefore the light will eventually change pitch. 
I’ve included a picture of the light bar mount that came with the light bar showing the notched groves. 

51E97D97-5F39-4A57-BDF4-DEC8D1B4EA7F.jpeg

A1AE261B-A1C6-4A25-8CF1-C4AEC99F9355.jpeg

FAD95863-012D-44D1-867A-4FD2487187BF.jpeg

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Go down to the local nut and bolt store and see if you can find a "star washer" I am not sure if that is the correct terminology but its a stamped one piece washer that looks like a star and has sharp edges on both sides. Install one on the inside and one on the outside if you have room this should prevent the light from slowly changing angle?🤔

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  414
  • Content Count:  1

How are you guys running the wires from Roof top mounted accessories to the dash for power and switches? 

I know there are several paths none are clean unless you have Cab model.

Thanks,

AO

• Member ID:  422

"There is a black plastic cap on that covers the terminals (one black terminal is negative or ground referred often as "-" and two red which are positive or Hot referred to as "+").  You will want to connect your ground wire from the switch, to the black wire terminal.  The red wire will go to the opposite red wire on the block (both the black and red you want to hook to are the outside terminals on the block.  The center one stays hot with the key on or off)"

Great description.... I have a follow up question/problem.   I had LED lights hooked to the two outside terminals and working fine for months. I recently added an amp and speakers.  I hooked them up  briefly and tested before permentaly installing the rocker switch and they worked fine.  While installing the rocker switch in the dash I hit the neg/postive wire together and blew the f12 10A dc1/dc3 acc fuse that is located in the hood fuse box.  I replaced it and now the previous working led quit working when hooked to the outside (+), it only works when hooked to the constant (middle)hot terminal(which i don't want).  SO could it be my Led relay, I would think not as they work when hooked to the hot terminal.  SO is there a bus bar relay, like in the fuse box under the hood?  I have checked all the other fuses and they are good.  So basically it like the outside + terminal does not work.

2019 Defender Max XT 

Edited by ChrisC
adding year and model

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  554

I bought a 2020 Canam Defender XT HD8. Looking to put some after market flood lights in the front above the winch where a light bar would go.  Trying to figure a way to connect the wiring more so, from under the hood to the far left switch area in the cab so I can put a switch in.  Any body help with this?

thanks!

bob in Tucson