10” wide tires front and rear with stock rims?

JDK

• Member ID:  232
  • Content Count:  50

Planning on upgrading to 29” or 30” tires in the near future.  I am happy with my stock wheels so I really don’t want to drop extra coin on something I don’t want.

So my question is, is there any issue with running 10” width tires front and rear on the stock wheels? I imagine you may need a wheel spacer on the back.  If so should it be 1”, 1.5” or 2”?

Thanks for any input.

• Member ID:  298
  • Content Count:  107

I went through this same dilemma talked to a buddy of mine that has tons of experience on side by side builds. His feedback was that it is very possible to seat the bead on different width wheels, but once seated the overall diameter of the tire would be slightly different from front to back. He explained the farther out the bead needs to travel to seat the tire (on the wider rear wheel) the smaller the diameter becomes. Also, the look front to rear will be slightly different. Seems to make sense to me!

on a side note, I have an extra set of (2) brand new super atv 1.5” spacers if you decide to go that direction.  I mounted them to my new wheel and tire setup and realized they pushed my aftermarket wheels out just slightly too far. I run 1” spacers now. Good luck with your build!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

On my machine shown in the build section I have 30x10x14 in the front and 30x11x14 in the rear with no spacers on stock rims. No rub when turning or compressing the suspension. The tires will seat on the bead no problem, I am not sure why you would want to go 10" on the back when stock are 11", you will lose flotation in the wet stuff? The fender flares keep the mud off the sides of the machine quite well.🤔

Edited by Andystoy19
spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Makes sense that the diameters could end up slightly different. Only reason I was thinking of 10’s front and rear was that some of the tires I’m looking at only come only in 10” width. But I really don’t have the cash for wheels, plus I like the looks of the XT rims anyways. 

pmbaseball24 what would you have to have for those 1.5 spacers?

• Member ID:  298
  • Content Count:  107

Hey JDK.  Sorry, I sold these yesterday. 

Not a problem. Found your post in the classifieds. Good deal for whoever bought them.