2020 Defender Max Lonestar

pmbaseball24

• Member ID:  886
  • Content Count:  7

2 minutes ago, pmbaseball24 said:

Good looking combo you have picked out!

I did all my modifications by myself. The Corbin setup was pretty easy. I’d say it was a 2 or 3 on the 1-10 scale of difficulty. Pop the dash cluster out. Removed the two floor panels in the middle of the cab that cover the coolant lines and wiring running to the rear and just start fishing it through. You basically remove most of the factory wire harness and just follow the same path for the Corbin kit. One word of advise... lay it all out on the floor before you start to make sure you have the right direction and right lengths running to the correct lights. For example, the rear tail lights run along the rear passenger side upper frame rail. The one running to the rear passenger brake light has a shorter pigtail than the one cutting across to the driver side. Seems like common sense, but I ran these wires and somehow had them reversed. 

This is great news. Dealership wants $1200 to install ($1200 includes the Corbin signal kit, horn, Ghost Signature lights, mirrors, and rear view mirror.). But I’m sitting about $800 to buy it all myself. Trying to determine if their work is worth $400 haha. Sounds like I’ll be doing it myself! 👍🏽

Wheel spacers seem like a super easy job as well. Probably like 30 min install. 

• Member ID:  298
  • Content Count:  107

Yea for $400, I’d be doing that project myself for sure. I have more peace of mind knowing that I took the time to run stuff right and make good connections, etc. Dealers, not all of them, have been known to cut some corners along the way. I also enjoy getting to know the machine. Gaining the knowledge of how things are put together can help you out in the future.

yes, wheel spacers are super easy. Just have your torque wrench handy. One side note for you on the wheels... these use the tapered lug nuts to center the wheel on the hub. Make sure the taper is seated correctly in the wheel before you tighten them down. If the aren’t centered, you could damage the tapered “seat” of the wheel. This will make sense once you get them. 

10 minutes ago, pmbaseball24 said:

Yea for $400, I’d be doing that project myself for sure. I have more peace of mind knowing that I took the time to run stuff right and make good connections, etc. Dealers, not all of them, have been known to cut some corners along the way. I also enjoy getting to know the machine. Gaining the knowledge of how things are put together can help you out in the future.

yes, wheel spacers are super easy. Just have your torque wrench handy. One side note for you on the wheels... these use the tapered lug nuts to center the wheel on the hub. Make sure the taper is seated correctly in the wheel before you tighten them down. If the aren’t centered, you could damage the tapered “seat” of the wheel. This will make sense once you get them. 

Awesome. Any specific spacer recommendation? I think you had a 5-2 wheel offset but the 4-3 should require the same spacer I’d image. 

It should use the same 1” in the rear for yours to even it out. Your machine might end up in the 70-72” range with the 4+3 offset. I posted a picture in an upper post of the spacer I used. I don’t know if you saw it or not. Keep us posted as you get everything put together. I’m excited to see it!!

28 minutes ago, pmbaseball24 said:

It should use the same 1” in the rear for yours to even it out. Your machine might end up in the 70-72” range with the 4+3 offset. I posted a picture in an upper post of the spacer I used. I don’t know if you saw it or not. Keep us posted as you get everything put together. I’m excited to see it!!

Will do! Thanks again for answering all my questions. It’s great to know good people are out there.

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  924
  • Content Count:  1

Are you running 7" wide for front and rear wheels?

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  971
  • Content Count:  1

pmbaseball24,

I just ordered the same 14" SB-3 rim with a 30" tire (the Apache are all back ordered).  Were you able to simply bolt on the new rims and tires or did you have to lift the Defender?

Edited by smullins15

I have the springs from S3 which does lift the defender. I forget what the total lift was, I believe it was around an inch and a half. I don’t believe this was necessary to fit the wheel and tire combo. 

• Member ID:  972
  • Content Count:  31

Race Driven is from my neck of the woods in the UP. Nice ride!

• Member ID:  985
  • Content Count:  13

New here with a couple quick questions. I just ordered a 21' Defender Max XT HD10. Ordering the S3 HD springs and wanting to put either the 30" Apache tire or the 30" STI X Comp tires on the stock rims. 1. Is that an option on the stock rims? and 2. Would I just need a 1" wheel spacer for the rear? Anyone have experience with the X Comp tires? Thanks for any input.  

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  991
  • Content Count:  21

Very nice!!!! Ive had Harleys my whole life and enjoyed making it mine. Can’t wait to do the same with my defender. Nice job, looks great!!

• 7 months later...

Well I'm WAY behind in sharing the update... I ended up getting the Defender Max HD 10 Lonestar back in February. Ordered in Feb and picked up in March.  Originally I loved the stock Stone Gray plastics that came with the Lonestar...but when I saw the Boreal Green plastics in person it was a must have- especially since I wanted to add the System 3 Bronze wheels.. I just lucked out that dealer had one Lonestar coming into their possession March and had a Boreal Green XT unassembled out back. Dealer was awesome and swapped plastics for me. Same week that I picked up the SXS I personally installed a few accessories : OEM 1/2 doors, rear glass, tip-out windshield, panoramic mirror, side mirrors, and sport fender flares. Also upgraded the 28" stock tires to System 3 30" RT320 tires mounted on ST-3 Bronze wheels. Removed the XT sticker on the side plastic and added the Lonestar badge so everything matches up. For the street legal kit, I passed on the Ryco kit and went straight to the Corbin Custom Kit. Integrated the signal switch with the dash cluster too. It's one hell of an upgrade from the Ryco! I'm the only Boreal Green Lonestar in the mountains and we love it. Check it out and let me now what else I should do/add.  

IMG_6767.jpg

IMG_6768.jpg

IMG_6764.jpg

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_7648.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

• Like 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  274

Good looking rig! I really like those wheels with your Boreal Green panels. 

• 1 year later...