3 prong winch remote hookup? Where?

pmbaseball24

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

On 1/10/2020 at 4:15 PM, Snowtower2 said:

No problem, this feature, my backup light, and rear camera have been my most used upgrades so far.

Rear cam? DO TELL!!

• Member ID:  275
  • Content Count:  13

19 hours ago, Nekelneh said:

Snowtower2, how and where did you run your winch remote cable inside the cab? I hve the 2020 cab as well and im struggling to find spaces to run lines inside the cab. 

I don't have a winch "remote cable". The unit I installed (noted above) is wireless and only needs to be hooked up to the stock winch control located under the front hood. No wires pass thru the firewall.

17 hours ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

Rear cam? DO TELL!!

I run a Garmin BC 40 wireless unit hooked up to a Garmin 7" Smart Drive. I use this same GPS on my snowmobile and my SXS for ice fishing and trail riding.

I have another post that has some pictures of the setup.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  323
  • Content Count:  50

Yesterday I went through my 2020 Max owners manual and there wasn't any 3 prong attachment point for the optional remote control cable.  I also could not find one on the winch or anywhere else.  I guess they figure the rocker switch in the cab was sufficient and an upgrade from the manual plug in control, hence no secondary controls.

• Member ID:  308
  • Content Count:  1

Will a defender Winch have the power to skin a deer - pros and cons?

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  691

The defenders XT come with a 4500 series winch and the machine weighs1500-2000 lbs. so it will lift a deer, a moose, a bear an elk etc. no problem if you rig a snatch block to a tree. If you install your own winch I would suggest at least a 4000 series.

Even the 2500 series winch on the ATV will do the same but you may have to tie the back of the machine to another tree because the front end will lift with a moose.

The bad news you still have to do the skinning yourself.😉

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

I have the factory under hood control and plug for my  2019. Sorry pics aren’t the best but should give you an idea of location. Cheapest can am option I’ve bought so far. If I remember correctly it was around 25 bucks from the dealer. Canadian prices so I’m guessing penny’s for you USA guys. Our parts are so much more then yours. 

8F3ADFE7-D996-45BF-8209-80BA0EEF2970.jpeg

D0923B59-5122-411B-9C0D-359A98DC5BD0.jpeg

406E5942-FA33-4867-A2D8-B974A770C85E.jpeg

• 7 months later...

• Member ID:  796
  • Content Count:  8

I have a 2021 and have the same wireless as you have so graciously shown the wiring to, but I am wondering if I am missing something.  When I hook it up as shown, my winch will just reel in or reel out depending which wire I place first.

1 hour ago, Dave Larson said:

I have a 2021 and have the same wireless as you have so graciously shown the wiring to, but I am wondering if I am missing something.  When I hook it up as shown, my winch will just reel in or reel out depending which wire I place first.

If you are hooking it up correctly and it immediately starts to reel.... sounds like you have a bad solenoid or switch.... Sticky button? Gonna re read back a bit in thread... and see the reference..

10 minutes ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

If you are hooking it up correctly and it immediately starts to reel.... sounds like you have a bad solenoid or switch.... Sticky button? Gonna re read back a bit in thread... and see the reference..

Yep... if you have the red hooked to positive, black to ground, white to rear post of winch controller, and yellow to the front post..... and you start to reel instantly..... seems something is askew... have you tried touching just one of the wires to both front and back posts? Seeing if the winch fires off? Either in or out....

Then trying the other wire in the same manner???

Oh how I love wiring..... NOT!!!

Good luck,

Joe

14 hours ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

Yep... if you have the red hooked to positive, black to ground, white to rear post of winch controller, and yellow to the front post..... and you start to reel instantly..... seems something is askew... have you tried touching just one of the wires to both front and back posts? Seeing if the winch fires off? Either in or out....

Then trying the other wire in the same manner???

Oh how I love wiring..... NOT!!!

Good luck,

Joe

Yes, I tried just one and it winds or retracts.  I am thinking that the switch on the remote is bad, It works just fine with the switch in the cab, but I would like a remote either wired or wireless "Just in case".

2 hours ago, Dave Larson said:

Yes, I tried just one and it winds or retracts.  I am thinking that the switch on the remote is bad, It works just fine with the switch in the cab, but I would like a remote either wired or wireless "Just in case".

That's what it seems like to me.... good luck!!

Where did you get the wireless adapter? Maybe you could stop and see if they will return it? Or let you try a new remote atleast...

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  691

4 hours ago, Dave Larson said:

What model is your 2021 that came with the winch? I found the wiring diagram for the XT Cab model and it does not show a 3 prong connector in the harness. Did yours come with the 3 prong connector wired in or are you trying to make that connection now? What make and size is your winch?

In the 2019 and previous years some models came with the remote switch connector included in the wiring harness under the front hood, all I had to do was buy the male plug in part from can am and everything worked.

If you are trying to make the connection for a wired remote control into your wiring harness the easiest place may be right behind the winch switch in the dash. Prong 2 is where you connect the power wire (Red/black) and "in" is the grn/blu and "out" is the light blue. This will place your remote control in parallel with the dash switch. The power and rotation of the winch is provided by the winch relay so this connection is between the dash and the winch relay. I can post a page out of the shop manual to help you visualize the wiring if that would help.

If you are trying to use a wireless remote than you will need to get info from the winch manufacturer or your dealer. There is some info showing the wiring in the parts section of can am where you can search by year, make and model?🤔

He's trying to go wireless as well as in cab rocker... Others have used some wireless adapter wired as pictured above.. seems he is having a remote issue. Considering the winch works fine with wired setup... But when he connects the wireless adapter it immediately fires off the winch... 

THOUGHT..... Pull the remote battery.... that would at least rule that out.... into the brain unit itself..... not breaking contact.....

So glad we chatted about that Andy....

😉

Joe

On 12/12/2020 at 2:34 PM, A hunt 2 remember said:

He's trying to go wireless as well as in cab rocker... Others have used some wireless adapter wired as pictured above.. seems he is having a remote issue. Considering the winch works fine with wired setup... But when he connects the wireless adapter it immediately fires off the winch... 

THOUGHT..... Pull the remote battery.... that would at least rule that out.... into the brain unit itself..... not breaking contact.....

So glad we chatted about that Andy....

😉

Joe

Well that was my thought also, I tried and still fired off.  Returning unit and just waiting for another. 

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dave Larson said:

Well that was my thought also, I tried and still fired off.  Returning unit and just waiting for another. 

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

I really think your unit is JUNK!!! New unit will most likely fix your issue...

Good luck,

Joe