Noise

Eric

• Member ID:  245
  • Content Count:  13

It's the one I posted up farther

• Member ID:  272
  • Content Count:  2

Hey Guys, I'm new here because I wanted to learn all I could before I made the purchase. I really like the looks of the Black 2019 Max Lone Star and was ready to buy but after listening about all the upgrades on the 2020 it made me think. I went to the local dealer that had one and i agree it is a rather quite machine. Going from using a all electric machine for years primary used for hunting its hard to jump into a machine you can hear 1/2 mile away coming.

The 2020 sound level is not bad, but the color sucks! and no real other choice on the Lone Star Max. I think the color was a brave chance that people would like it. Pictures are one thing but look at it in the sun, so I'm still thinking and looking at options. Just want to be happy with my decision and get just what i like. Maybe I'd have to look at doing a wrap on a new one to get it the way i want it to look. Bigger tires, windshield, half doors, and Black is the wish list. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Start with the 2020 and upgrade from there, 10 more Hp, brake assist parking brake and quieter exhaust system. 😉

• Member ID:  272
  • Content Count:  2

Thats exactly what I'm going to do, so now i just have to figure out which model to build from. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  186
  • Content Count:  10

Thank you Eric for the suggestion! It worked out well, made a difference. I used two rolls.

20191130_141116.jpg

• Like 2

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

So... after purchasing a soundproofing product from the stereo shop for QUITE A BIT MORE (but hadn't used it) I ran into this thread. My first thought was something in a horse mat type of thing, BUT NOT THAT THICK!!! I found a 6'x4' floor mat at home depot that was my first attempt. It work pretty well overall, but didn't kill the engine at high RPM's. Awesome as a floor mat though!!! Kept great traction under foot even with snow being track in... (I also think the way it lays over the floor laps, it will help with dust in the summer)But after seeing the 1/2" sticky back foam, it was game on. I bought two rolls. One for below the mid bar across the back and one above. Then I doubled the lower section again with the original floor mat I used at first. But again, i think all the extra foaming will contain my heat, dampen the road/engine noise,as well as keep the cab cleaner..... as you can see in pictures (if you look close) I cut the on the lower section so the access panel can still be removed. I also did behind the battery cover. I have all three compartments for under the seats which also helps with the noise below the seats... thinking I may get some for the bottom of the roof to retain heat loss and givethe speakers some backing for some depth/tone....

20191209_143658.jpg

20191209_143714.jpg

20191209_145046.jpg

20191209_145148.jpg

So... after purchasing a soundproofing product from the stereo shop for QUITE A BIT MORE (but hadn't used it) I ran into this thread. My first thought was something in a horse mat type of thing, BUT NOT THAT THICK!!! I found a 6'x4' floor mat at home depot that was my first attempt. It work pretty well overall, but didn't kill the engine at high RPM's. Awesome as a floor mat though!!! Kept great traction under foot even with snow being track in... (I also think the way it lays over the floor laps, it will help with dust in the summer)But after seeing the 1/2" sticky back foam, it was game on. I bought two rolls. One for below the mid bar across the back and one above. Then I doubled the lower section again with the original floor mat I used at first. But again, i think all the extra foaming will contain my heat, dampen the road/engine noise,as well as keep the cab cleaner..... as you can see in pictures (if you look close) I cut the on the lower section so the access panel can still be removed. I also did behind the battery cover. I have all three compartments for under the seats which also helps with the noise below the seats... thinking I may get some for the bottom of the roof to retain heat loss and givethe speakers some backing for some depth/tone....

20191209_143658.jpg

20191209_143714.jpg

20191209_145046.jpg

20191209_145148.jpg

Edited by A hunt 2 remember
Tried to delete dupe....

Well I think this may cut SOME noise.... But I'm sure it will work for DUST/WATER coming in from around the doors as well as other areas the sheet goods don't work so well. It's pretty much the same stuff they use as a roof top gasket. Found it at my local HD... 

Oh, I also bought two more rolls for the roof. May even pull the door skins and do them... I mean for the price of 6 rolls? The heat retention and sound proofing it provides is WELL WORTH THAT!! IMO

20191212_221701.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

Well I think this may cut SOME noise.... But I'm sure it will work for DUST/WATER coming in from around the doors as well as other areas the sheet goods don't work so well. It's pretty much the same stuff they use as a roof top gasket. Found it at my local HD... 

Oh, I also bought two more rolls for the roof. May even pull the door skins and do them... I mean for the price of 6 rolls? The heat retention and sound proofing it provides is WELL WORTH THAT!! IMO

20191212_221701.jpg

When I stated I got two more rolls, I meant of the 1/2" sheet goods from above. Not more of this...

• 7 months later...

• Member ID:  568
  • Content Count:  6

Hi.......

New to the forum !!  Have a 2019 HD10 XT w/Cab.  Also annoyed by the noise level.  Have made a modification and taken measurements with a sound meter.

Cut off enough of the exhaust pipe to give it a "level run" and added a flex pipe exhaust system connector:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AGMRA4/

This modification eliminates the helicopter "pocketa-pocketa" sound created when the exhaust gases hits the top of the sway bar.  Idea from a man with a YouTube channel:

Sound level measurements made with VLIKE VL6708 meter with the flex pipe extension:

Idle at 1200 RPM....10 feet behind HD10 = 65.8 decibels; inside cab/windows open/windshield "cracked open" with lever = 67.1; inside cab/windows closed = 66.7 decibels.  At 4000 RPM....10 feet behind = 79.7; inside cab/windows open/windshield "cracked open' with lever = 82.4; inside cab/windows closed = 81.6 decibels.  Note that an increase of 10 decibels means apparent sound volume has doubled [2x] in intensity.  Also note that you will suffer no hearing damage if you expose your ears to 82 decibels for a continuous 16 hours...but no longer.  At 85 decibels, hearing damage is possible after a continuous 8 hours.

Going to install a Silent Rider muffler in-line with the OEM system and repeat measurements.  Also looking at a sound insulation kit from Can-Am which goes on the 2020 models; part number unknown right now.  Also considering the Thermo-Tec 14620 material or the XCEL Marine Roll to cover the interior side of the firewall.  Will provide same measurements when I finish installation of one of these three insulation options.

Edited by WDRHD10Colorado
Typo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  642
  • Content Count:  1

WDRHD10Colorado did you ever install the thermo-tec or xcel? result?  thanks!