Few issues need help with ?

TrueBlue

• Member ID:  260
  • Content Count:  1

Front end noise is coming from the differential, they are having issues with this noise problem. I think there’s a problem with the manufacturing of the cv shafts, front differential or both. Just try pulling up and down on the cv shafts and see if you hear a knocking noise and movement up and down on shafts going into the differential. I have the same problems and a lot of my friends do as well. The local dealer is trying different things to solve the issue from replacing front cv shafts and differential but still haven’t rectified the problem. I can hear and feel it under my feet in my defender, just hoping it won’t come apart and end up with someone hurt or killed. A very expensive items to replace. I’ve also had the rack replaced twice because of excessive play, the bike only has 3000 Kms but I’ve heard the noise every since I bought it new.... Not a happy camper here. Hoping BRP will come up with a fix soon  

• 4 months later...

• Member ID:  370
  • Content Count:  2

Hi Guys... i am in the market for a SxS and have it narrowed down to either a honda pioneer 100-5, or a defender XMR.   I am a big guy at 6'9, so leg room is a big thing.  the defender and pioneer both fit the bill.  the defender is a more of a beast, but i have am not a mechanic, and reliability is also important.  I have all Honda ATV's and trust them.  can i trust the defender in the reliability department

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

My first quad was a Kawasaki 400 when quads first came out after the trikes. Since than I have owned Can Am quads and now the Can Am defender XT Cab HD10 and they have all been very reliable and none of them went back to the dealer for warranty. I trail ride in the foothills so the quads have all had larger tires for clearance and floatation in  the muskeg but none were modified with snorkels etc. I go around the muskeg or mud holes as a first choice and through them if no choice.

I have ridden with Honda quads on these trips and they performed well and had no mechanical problems but lacked power and suspension, the Polaris quads had to be towed a number of times. My Outlanders were winched or towed out of mud holes but none had a mechanical failure on trips that were offroad for 60 miles or more.

The Defender XMR is a serious mud machine and comes with taller factory tires, relocated rad (to keep it above the mud) snorkels to keep the engine and CVT breather out of the water, arched front A arms for more clearance, a lower low gear for more power for the taller and heavier tires, good engine power and performs well in the deep environment. If you plan to play in this environment than the XMR is my choice.

As far as reliability and warranty should be good. Keep in mind that reliability in most cases goes back to the user and how the machine is utimately used. If the machine will be used in deep mud and water where it may get water into the intake or CVT breathers than that will cause problems. The brakes, boots etc. will wear more rapidly in this case as well and are considered wear items. The Can ams use a belt driven CVT, I am not sure what Honda uses?

As far as the Honda I have not been to a Honda showroom for close to 40 years, since the first 350 Honda quads came out, I found the sales people to be very arrogant about the quality without really keeping up to date on what others offered. My brother inlaw on the other hand has always owned Honda. The Honda brand has had a good reputation for reliabilty for their quads and SxS but these have been built more for trail and farm or utility use. I have no idea how they will perform off trail? I hope my comments give you some info that you can use to ask questions etc. before you make your final decision.

In the end, you work hard for your money and choose the one you think best suits your needs.😉

• Like 1

• Member ID:  370
  • Content Count:  2

Thanks.. your comments are similar to what I have researched. The Honda isn’t going to wow you in the performance department, but it is extremely reliable. I guess I have to decide how much performance I need, as I am mostly a trail rider who isn’t looking for a swamp, but wouldn’t mind going through one when the opportunity exists. Thanks again for your advice.

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

On 6/24/2019 at 8:23 PM, Stapleton said:

I do have to say that quite a bit of my 2200 miles on mine is gravel road riding and pavement and the big horns still look great it's crazy how well there holding up but the fronts are finally getting some waves in them and they do vibrate the bike at slower speeds on asphalt 

I have had the same experience as you. Actually at 1000 mile mark had some Razor guys note how well they looked. They do pretty well, but 32's are in our future for sure. 

• Member ID:  213
  • Content Count:  4

I posted the video when I was having my difficulties, and returned it to the dealer three times for service. They were unable to correct the problem, and I feared it getting worse. It was still under warranty, and BRP was doing nothing to correct this problem. Seemed to be an engineering problem. So I did the unthinkable and it cost me a lot of money.... but I dumped it like BRP did to me.  I was very disappointed in how BRP did nothing to correct this serious problem. It sounded like the front end was coming apart and I baby my vehicles. I ultimately traded it in for a new JD Gator 835R and made that dealership aware of my difficulties. They said they were going to contact BRP and make any repairs. Nonetheless, I took a serious hit on the trade. Again, very disappointing.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

I was reading through this again and noted your issue with squealing rubber pads as well as them rubbing off the paint. I actually wrapped those areas with gorilla tape. Never had an issue again....  Not sure what your rattling is all about though... Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  396

On 7/22/2019 at 10:43 AM, Dragoon said:

Yeah, I'm beginning to think it's harmonics in the front drive shaft at certain speeds. I bet they aren't balanced and it shows at low speeds.

Did you ever find a solution to the noise?

• 3 months later...

• Member ID:  566

I have had a 2016 Honda Pioneer 700-4 deluxe and worked great. Honda does not have any belts. The only thing I didn’t like was it was underpowered and no storage. This brings me to my question. I now have a 2020 Defender HD8 XT. Just got it two days ago. When I go to back out of the garage I have to step on the gas quite a bit for it to engage the reverse And then it kind of jerks. Is this due to the belt or does this go away when Broken in? That’s about my only issue just getting it. Any feedback would help. Thank you.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

You now have a machine with a CVT transmission which is a belt drive, the primary sheave closes on the belt when you rev up the engine and grabs the belt resulting in the jerk, something you will have to get used to.😏

• Member ID:  161
  • Content Count:  42

A year later and that noise in the front end is still there and i’ve had enough. Today I took the drive shaft protector off the front section from steady/carrier bearing to the front Diff.  I found the noise finally it’s that stupid Diff assy. 

Now it’s dealer time to see if they will replace or fix the issue !  Still under 2 yr warranty.

TB

• Member ID:  428
  • Content Count:  24

My 2020 lonestar has this same noise.  Drives me insane...only has around 12 hrs on machine.  BRP needs to bring a solution to the table quick.  Alot of unhappy customers.  Makes me sick to pay that much for a brand new machine only to have this....

• Member ID:  405
  • Content Count:  45

Thanks TrueBlue for posting up that video. Looks like you finally isolated the problem. I can't believe that the dealership wasn't able to do the same. It appears that the "lash" between the ring and pinion needs to be adjusted. Are you still covered under warranty? Please keep us posted.

• Member ID:  161
  • Content Count:  42

Well it was the front Diff and they replaced it. Funny how one dealer said never heard of it before and another dealer said bring it in two hrs and you’ll have it back. I quess I have a new dealer going forward. 👍😀

TB

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  627

Hey guys i have a 2020 defender max xmr and im having the same popping noise when i go over wash outs or rocks. My dealer in Russellville Arkansas says that they only hear the noise a couple times in 4wd and i have never heard it in 4wd. I have told them how to make it do it and they tell me that its sounds like a wheel bearing or bushings on the a-arm but when they first called me they said they don't know where its coming from and they will just start changing parts out on the front end to see if it fixes it. This is the 3rd time its been in the shop and i have only had it 4 months. The first 2 times was cause a cv boot came off the front passenger side. I will also say that most of my riding is on gravel roads or paved roads and i don't abuse my machine at all. Im pretty unhappy with can am for not standing behind there machines and trying to fix the problems.