Need Advice on Cruising Speeds

wendy

• Member ID:  1,283
  • Content Count:  13

My primary use of my Defender Ltd HD10 is driving down the vast network of dirt/gravel roads that I live on, with occasional stretches of rural paved roads.  I'm wondering what cruising speeds are considered non-damaging for these engines and also how long it's okay to hold at say, 30-45mph.  The owner's manual only warns against running at full throttle for more than 5 minutes in hot weather.  Since the digital speedometers on these things only tell us current speed, and not potential speed, I don't even know what rpm would constitute full throttle.  In fact, everyone who admires my machine asks me how fast it can go, but I have no way of knowing.

Anyway, bottom line, can I cruise around at 30-45 miles an hour for several miles without hurting anything?

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

In my experience these machines are pretty dummy proof.  If it doesn't like what you're doing to it, it will give you a warning for the most part.  In a normal operating circumstance, with nothing obstructing the radiator I would feel very comfortable going 45mph for at least several miles, but I do believe the manufacturer says to alter speeds up and down while going farther distances to avoid wearing a particular spot in the cvt system that could affect how your machine will shift.

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

I regularly run 30 to 45 on local roads with no problems. I've run at 55 to 60 for extended durations with no issues. Usually you vary your speed enough with turns, normal speed fluctuations, etc that I doubt you would cause any damage to anything.

• Member ID:  1,283
  • Content Count:  13

Thanks so much, RossO and Steelslinger.  I'm constantly varying speeds on our dirt roads because they're completely riddled with award-winning pot holes, so that'll take care of that recommendation, and now I can relax about running the few stretches of pavement that I hit at higher speeds.  Thanks again!

• Like 1