High Pitched Ringing Noise from power steering

Lex-Tex

Question

• Member ID:  1,353
  • Content Count:  2

I have a high pitched ringing noise that comes from the power steering, you can unplug the power steering fuse and it quits. Can-am states it’s normal but could be a relay? I cannot find a relay anywhere. The ringing stays until 20-30 seconds after key is shut off as well, you can move the steering wheel some and it quits. Anybody having this problem? 

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

• Member ID:  1,274
  • Content Count:  6

I have a six month old Defender with the same buzzing issue. If I touch the steering wheel just right, the sound goes away. I have not talked to a CanAm rep yet but I'm assuming they'll tell me the same old "that's normal" until it finally fails and it's out of warranty. I have two CanAm ATV's with power steering and NO buzzing noise. I hope someone on here has a clear answer. Sorry for not being much help.

• Member ID:  1,260

Any information found on this ringing? I have it as well.. 2021 XT. Turning the steering wheel quiets it. 

• Member ID:  1,363
  • Content Count:  25

My 2020 Defender Pro has this high pitched noise. I thought it was the display unit, until you figured out it was the DPS. Did anyone check steering fluid level?

• Member ID:  1,353

Has anybody found any answers to this issue?

Now when I make turns left or right there is a tire rubbing sound, (but no tire is rubbing). Only 52 hours on machine. 

• Member ID:  1,558

I have the same high pitched squeal on 2021 Can-Am Defender Limited since new. Dealer says its a known problem, but Can-Am isn't doing anything about it. Not sure if my ears are overly sensitive but I find if very annoying.

• Member ID:  2,087

I just picked up my 2023 Lonestar Max on Friday, I noticed the high pitched ringing when I loaded it on the trailer but figured it would go away. On my way home I stopped by a riding area to break the belt in, the ringing noise was back as soon as turned the key on, I did a 25 mile loop and the ringing never went away until the power was off. Saturday morning I started to search for answers and found this forum, I pulled the fuse and sure enough the ringing stopped. I contacted the dealer to let them know what was going on, they told me that this is the first time they have heard of this issue. They said they would contact Can-Am on Monday and get back to me, I told them if they cant fix the issue I don't want the Machine. I didn't pay that kind of money to listen to a ringing noise all day while I ride. I will repost once I hear what Can-Am is going to do to stop the ringing noise coming from the power steering unit.

• Member ID:  2,130
  • Content Count:  1

On 6/18/2023 at 9:41 AM, Deep Canyon said:

I just picked up my 2023 Lonestar Max on Friday, I noticed the high pitched ringing when I loaded it on the trailer but figured it would go away. On my way home I stopped by a riding area to break the belt in, the ringing noise was back as soon as turned the key on, I did a 25 mile loop and the ringing never went away until the power was off. Saturday morning I started to search for answers and found this forum, I pulled the fuse and sure enough the ringing stopped. I contacted the dealer to let them know what was going on, they told me that this is the first time they have heard of this issue. They said they would contact Can-Am on Monday and get back to me, I told them if they cant fix the issue I don't want the Machine. I didn't pay that kind of money to listen to a ringing noise all day while I ride. I will repost once I hear what Can-Am is going to do to stop the ringing noise coming from the power steering unit.

Did you ever hear back about a solution?

I just had my 2023 HD10 HT Defender delivered yesterday and it's making that horrible loud high pitched whining coming from the power steering.  It starts when I turn the key to the on position and won't stop until after the key has been off for a bit and the power steering is no longer energized.  The pitch of the whine changes when I turn the steering wheel.  Driving around the property it's really annoying.  I'll be calling the dealer today to see if they have any fixes.  

• Member ID:  2,087

The dealer contacted Can-Am about the noise issue, Can-Am is saying that the noise level is within the allowable range. The dealer said that they have done a few things to try and quite the noise down and want me to come and drive it to see if it's something I can live with, they didn't tell me what they did but I expect the noise to still be there. I may end up having to trade in a brand-new machine for a Polaris. I owner a 2021 Polaris XP 1000 Ranger Crew and sold it to buy this Can-Am Defender, the ringing noise and the response from the factory is making me re-think the decision. I will be going to the dealer on Saturday to drive my machine and determine whether the noise is at a level I can live with, at this point the dealer will have had the machine for four weeks.